preferred soaps/scents for Tabac dislikers ??

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by expatCanuck, Jan 11, 2009.

1. expatCanuck

expatCanuck New Member

Greetings, campers.

Many have said that Tabac's scent is love it or hate it.
    I'm one of those folks who's simply not fond of Tabac -- to me it's got that entirely wrong,
    astringent Grandma's perfume drawer after a nasty night at the bar bouquet.

Or maybe it's tallow that you object to.

In any event, I'd like to know -- what soaps/scents do you enjoy?

Cheers,

- Richard

2. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Hmmm...good question. I can't really help with that; but, if you'll just send the offending puck my way...

:D

3. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

Harris Arlington.

Regards.

J

4. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Well, TSD makes a great Pinaud type scent. TGQ makes a great lavender, as well as leatherneck, scent. These are my three favorite scents for shaving soaps/creams.

If it's cologne, Caswell-Massey's Number Six or Truefitt&Hill's Spanish Leather.

But I confess I also like Tabac's colonge.

5. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I thought the scent of Tabac was vile - eau de Bug Spray.

Here is a list of soaps I love:
    GFT Rose
    Harris Arlington
    L'Occitane Cade
    QED Vetiver
    QED Special 218
    Speick
    Palmolive

My issue with Tabac is not the tallow - I have used a few tallow-based soaps, and have loved several (Speick, Palmolive, Arlington, I had some nice vintage Yardley, and I now also have Ralph Lauren Safari which has tallow).

6. expatCanuck

expatCanuck New Member

We appear to have something in common -- I have both TGQ's leatherneck and lavender, as well as Cavendish Black. The latter I find a bit harsh, which is okay, 'cause Mrs. Expat thinks it's too sweet smelling. But leatherneck and lavender are indeed delightful. And TGQ's lather is outstanding.

7. xChris

xChris Member

Perhaps it is the tobacco and/or leather notes that you have the aversion to? I know for me that I don't tolerate those particular notes well either (e.g., Tabac, Knize Ten, C&E Sienna).

8. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Not a big fan of the Tabac scent here. At first I didn't mind it, but after using it several times I just found myself getting tired of it.

These days I'm mostly using:

DR Harris Marlborough
    Trumpers Violet

9. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

With soaps and creams my priority is how effective they are for shaving; scent is a distant second. For example: My favorite soap is DR Harris Almond. The scent does nothing for me, but I love the way it performs. I just recently purchased the Tabac soap and while the scent is a little too perfumey for me, I can live with it because the performance is excellent. Anyway, once the shave is over the face is rinsed off and the aftershave is splashed on -- and that’s the end of the soap fragrance for me.

Cologne is a different story: if I’m gong to put something on that has a lingering scent, it had better be something I like.

10. CatMan

CatMan Member

Dislike the scent of Tabac? - Change it!

For those of you who dislike the scent of Tabac (I happen to like it), but would like to keep or even improve its other properties:
    Adding a squirt of Dr. Bronner's liquid soap in a scent of your liking and a squirt of glycerin to your lather bowl alters the original scent significantly and gives you a fantastic "Ueberlather Plus"!

11. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I don't like tobacco or leather scents. Tabac makes great lather but I can't get over the smell.

I like Trumper Rose, MWF, Harris Almond, and a bunch of QED, Mama Bear, and TSD scents. :cool:

12. rrp1501

rrp1501 New Member

OGALLALA BAY RUM here!

My favorite by far is OGALLALA BAY RUM and SANDALWOOD! All of John Marquis' shave soaps are the same lather wise! They provide a rich, creamy lather that really lubricrates the hair and makes it stand up for an easy, close shave! And the scent sends me back to barber shops I used to visit with my Grandfather when I was a little bay! All John's items are great and inexpensive too!
    www.ogallalabayrum.com