shavemac variable loft

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by sas71, Jan 15, 2009.

1. sas71

sas71 Member

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Bit pricey for my blood. :)

3. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Me, too. Chris Moss designs some nice things, and Bernd is a master with brushes; but, it does seem to be in the rarified air for my budget.

4. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

It's a brilliant idea if you ask me, but a bit pricey for me too. I still hurt a little on the inside every time I remember how much my little Rooney 1,1 cost me.

5. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Definately an interesting brush. Originally they had some issues but I hear those are well worked out now.

Eventually I'll wind up buying one and adding it to the collection I'm sure.

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Perfect! Get one of these and a Gillette adjustable, and that's all you'll ever need! :D

7. riffin

riffin Active Member

I just tried wrapping two-sided velcro around the base of the knot on my brush. I used three different widths. i *think* I started with a 1/2 inch. I need to double check. Then cut of 1/3 of that. My favorite was the 2/3 rds width.

It cheap and easy. I was thinking of trying to make some collars out of PVC. In contemplating how best to make a hinge and latch, velcro came to mind. Then in a flash, I realized I didn't need the PVC!

I like mixing the lather with no strap, then wrapping it for application. I'll have to post some pictures...

8. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

I suppose if I were to only have one brush it would be nice if it was adjustable. However, I prefer having a half dozen brushes on the shelf in various sizes to pick from to satisfy my whim when I shave. But then, I'm more of a razor collector than a brush collector.

9. JimR

JimR Active Member

You know, the good Doctor is quite a designer. The funny thing, he's apparently given up badger brushes for moral reasons.

Another Boar lover to the fold!!! :D

10. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca New Member

;)

I thought I'd better add to this to clarify the smiley. I'm not aware of a moral reason to kill pigs for their bristle rather than badgers. I can only see the practical reason that pigs are plentiful and badgers won't be around long in China if the people are hunting them for food. I know, they will still hunt them for food, but at least I won't be paying them to do it whenever I buy another badger brush. However (and this is what you should pay attention to) I am not claiming any position of moral/ethical superiority; now that I have enjoyed the face-feel of a good boar brush I would choose it over a badger brush any day. Purely selfish. It feels nicer. It may not lather quite the same, and might not hold as much water, and might require an adjusted technique, and doesn't scrub quite as easily.....but it feels nicer. That is my bottom line, and any advantage to the survival of Arctonyx collaris is a bonus. Now, I'm not saying everyone else must do the same, but simply that this is my preference after extensive experience of all too many brushes of many kinds. I will go as far as to say that no one should dismiss the boar brush as automatically inferior: it is now my first choice. I have replaced five two-banded Simpsons onto the Wall of Shame, and the only brush I have at home now is an Omega 30005.

Chris