"Regular" soaps for shaving?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by omegapd, Jan 17, 2009.

1. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Hey All,

New guy here. Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I didn't find it while looking through the old threads (so far).

The only place locally that sells shave soap has one brand, Van der Hagen Deluxe. It works fine but not much different from when I tried a regular bar of Dove and Ivory and worked up a lather with that. In fact, the Dove probably made a thicker and nicer lather. :confused:

So, do some of you shave with regular soaps too? I'm sure I'll get hooked on ordering the good stuff on-line, but for now, I think I can make do with what I have around the house just as well as my local shave soap.

Just wondering,

EW

2. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

I've only tried to shave with Neutrogena a couple of times. It was okay, but nothing I would ever use on a consistent basis.

3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I used Dove soap with a brush a number of years ago, when I was staying in a hotel in Russia, when I was on a business trip. I always take Dove with me when I travel, so I had a great bath soap, and a pretty good shaving soap. I had forgotten to take a soap or cream with me, and the Dove worked pretty good. I find Ivory not as good for shaving.

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

You'll get a much better quality of soap if you just order them online.

5. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Yeah, I'm sure of that and that's the route I'm sure I'll wind up going. I got a couple of Col. Conk's in the mail yesterday plus a couple of other bars from an Ebay seller. Even got more on the way.:rolleyes: I can see where shaving soaps can be a new addiction now...

Thanks for the replies so far.

EW

6. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I think any decent soap that is well made and produces a good lather will work fine to shave with. The main difference with shaving soaps is that they are made to be a bit more optimal for shaving use.

The main thing to look out for is those low quality commercial soaps that tend to dry your skin out. Can't imagine those would do too well on your face.

7. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Lots of guys actually like the VDH soap. I think you'll find Conk is in the same league. If VDH didn't do it for you be warned you might not be impressed w/ CC. Fortunately you have roughly one or two hundred other soaps/creams you can try!!! And you will....:D

8. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I think Col. Conk is okay. Nothing special. If I was going for glycerine based I'd order from the TSD store.