Name that Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Morgoroth, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

Does anyone have a link to an online guide for IDing brushes. I have about 5 different brushes that I have "inherited" or found around my parents house, but all of them have either no markings or very little.

I know that some are badger of some type and some are crap, but I am not sure about the others.

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I do not think there is such an animal.

All the brushes are either stamped on the sides or bottom of the handle as to maker.

Without that it is a guess. If your folks could narrow down the years, maybe a better guess.

The biggest producer, or I should say those that pop up often are EverReady and Burma Shave.

3. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Made Rite is another that I have come across somewhat frequently.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

Oh that makes sense. Now that I know that is a brand, I know one if them is an ever ready pure-badger. That is also my favorite one. Oddly it is also one of the softest. Is silver tip better than that?
    Also, it looks like an ivory handle, is there any way to tell?

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is a beautiful brush Guido.

I have a ever ready pure badger that I was given for christmas. it is a great lathering brush.

Fuzzy

6. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Pure badger is stiffer, if that is the word, than silvertip. Silvertip is the top most, softest hairs.

Some one correct me if I am wrong but that is my understanding.

7. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Yes it is. I have only lathered it up once and it did a great job. I then gave it a good cleaning using Em's method and have just displayed it since. From the weight it is obviously a bakelite handle. It is really nice and firm for a badger and makes a great soap brush, but I have no need to move from my boar. I really need to think about selling it to someone who would actually get some use from it.

8. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

I have, and use often, an Ever-Ready 1000. I have had the damn thing since before my son was born, and he is almost 30!! Take care of your brush, and it will last a lifetime, literally!!

9. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I'm also about 100% sure they never made an ivory handle. Think more like bake-lite or some other sort of plastic.

10. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

JayKay-"I'm also about 100% sure they never made an ivory handle."

It may not be ivory but it has that slightly yellowed look. It is an ever ready pure-badger and there are some other numbers I will look at tonight, or see if I can take a pick of. It was my wife's grandfathers so there is no telling how old it is.

11. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

Ok it is probably not Ivory. Jumped to that conclusion a little soon. It is an ever-Ready Pure Badger K40.

That is what I could make out after some cleaning.
    I like it, but I still want to try a silver tip.

12. Sugarbush gnome

Sugarbush gnome New Member

To identify ivory, heat up a common pin to red hot. Stick the pin into an inconspicuous spot. If it smell like burning hair...it's ivory.

Doc.

13. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

And, if it smells like burning flesh, drop the pin! :eek:

14. razoir

razoir New Member

nice, anyway

whatever that brush is, it sure does look good. Probably works well, too.