Hi

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by DoctorWho, Jan 26, 2009.

1. DoctorWho

DoctorWho New Member

Hi folks. Like many of you I did some internet research to try to improve my shaves. I have always had a difficult time shaving, red dots, uncomfortable tender skin afterwards, etc. I was amazed to learn how many vibrant communities there out there dedicated to making peoples' shaves better! I have lurked on a number of forums (shave my face, badger and blade and of course this one) and now I've decided to come out from hiding. I like the feel of this place. The bager and blade site was a bit overwhelming but I'll probably register there too. The shavemy face forum has some nice people too but I don't think I can handle checking in on three places!

I got an old gillette superspeed on Ebay, some proraso cream and some colonel conk soap from amazon. I am still using my gillette fusion razor but I am going to switch someday real soon. I need to get a brush and some razor blades. Any suggestions?

2. DoctorWho

DoctorWho New Member

Oh, and I guess I gotta pick a picture under my name. Guess who it is going to be?:)

3. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Welcome to the Den. Make sure you check out Mantics videos for technique, etc. Looks like you have a great setup.

For a brush I recommend emailing Charles at QED and getting one of his. Darn good brushes and you can't beat his prices. His online store is hard to follow but if you email or call him he will take care of you and answer any questions. For blades I recommend a sampler pack from West Coast Shaving.

4. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Welcome!!

Will the picture be Tom Baker??

5. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

Hello. I am guessing your pic will be of Rose.

6. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Welcome to TSD. This forum is the best BTW! One stop shopping with the forum and the TSD store at your fingertips:)

7. DoctorWho

DoctorWho New Member

Yes, picture will be of my favorite Doctor: Tom Baker.

Thanks for the speedy recommendations for brush and blades!

8. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Welcome!!

I hope it's going to be Jon Pertwee!

9. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Welcome to TSD. Enjoy the shaves.

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Welcome!

11. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

That woulda been my pick, too :D

12. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Welcome to The Shave Den!

13. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Great choice!

Welcome to the Den!

I 2d the motion on West Coast Shaving for a sampler, and while Charles' brushes are next on my list (so I haven't used them), both their reputation and my own experience with Charles both endorse the brushes highly! Honestly, the only lower priced brush that we typically recommend is the Crabtree & Evelyn Best, but apparently it's hard to find at the moment. Charles has a Best brush that's only a few bucks more, and I'm sure it's very, very good. You could also look at a Kent BK4 from here for a bit over $50 shipped. (VAT doesn't apply if shipped to the USA.) Fantastic brush at a mindboggling low price. I paid well over $70 for mine a year ago from the same place. <sigh>

14. Peders

Peders Member

Welcome! Enjoy your stay :)

15. JimR

JimR Active Member

Is it bad for me to be an Eccleston fan?

Anyway, welcome welcome!

16. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

not bad at all Jim. But I still would make it Rose.

17. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Welcome to TSD. Gotta love The Doctor. Too bad my parents were never into Sci-Fi and I didn't discover Dr. Who until Tennant.
    Go Darlek on the beard! (EXTERMINATE!)

18. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome!

19. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Welcome! Have a jelly-baby. ;)

--Mark

20. DoctorWho

DoctorWho New Member

Any tips on loading my avatar?

I have a jpg file I am trying to use as my avatar. When I upload it the image shows up in the User Cp screen. When I look at my posts I don't see it.