I almost did a bad thing..

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Windwalker, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

I was preparing for last nights shave and spur of the moment, decided to try a Gem other that the lather catcher or the 1912, that I have been using. I settled on the G-Bar since it seems to get quite a bit of love here and elsewhere. Then I decided to use a boar brush, instead of my usual BBB. Normal prep, prepared the brush in the same manner. After soaking, squeeze the brush, and then a gentle shake to remove any excess water. This works well for the BBB, and since the boar holds less water, this should put it in the dry catagory. Swirled the brush around on the soap, added the glycerine, and started to whip. But the lather just did not look right, added some water by the drop. When I applied the lather to my face, it was very thin almost nonexistant. I wisely remembered the advice of only changing one variable at a time, reloaded the lather catcher. Took it for a spin, rinsed, relathered after trying to build more, but no more lather. Almost, like there was too much water in the brush. I finally grabbed the BBB, ran it under the water, swirled it on the soap, and face lathered for the last pass. Oddly enough, the shave was about what I usually get. Just wondering where I went wrong with the boar, they do hold less water than the badger, correct?? Is there a trick to it. I think I will practice some tonight and see what happens. Any advice on lathering a boar??

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I do very little different with the boar then I do with the Badger. Just have to practice,

Fuzzy

3. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I simply shake a little of the water out of my boar and then go to the soap. It sounds like you went way too dry with the brush.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I would agree with that.

Fuzzy

5. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Practice it is. The lather really seemed very thin, so I thought too much water. I have a cake of C&E that I will practice with and see if I can get it figured out.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

And defiantly try the G bar...

Fuzzy

7. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

OK, finally got around to playing around with the boar brush last night. I watched Mantics video for a refresher. So I soaked the brush, flipped it bristle side up for about 30 seconds. Gave it a light shake and went to the soap. The lather looked very watery and thin, but I kept whipping and low and behold... got a great lather. I would have sworn that there was too much water, but you both were right. Guess an old dog can learn a new trick! ;)

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There you go. Glad that worked out for you. How about you sendme the 1908 set you have as a reward for the good advice?

Fuzzy

9. The Zook

The Zook New Member

I run from both :D

10. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

OK, it must be the soap. I tried again last night, using the Ogallala, same brush prep as last time. Waaaaaay too watery, dumped it after one pass, went back to the C&E and ....Yatzee! We have lather and mounds of it. I guess the Ogallala is a badger soap. :rolleyes:

11. boomslanger

boomslanger New Member

I've found that with my boar brush it takes twice a long if not longer to generate as much lather as my badger brush. If I'm looking for an evening arm workout, boar it is!

12. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

+1