Glycerin for additive...

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by rrp1501, Jan 27, 2009.

1. rrp1501

rrp1501 New Member

Does anyone know where I can get glycerin that I can add a few drops to my soap when I shave? Just want to see if it will help or what. Thanks!

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

supermarket. or online.

3. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

I get mine at CVS.

4. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Ditto. Small brown bottle. Near the lotions, soaps, creams etc.

5. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Wal mart also. antiseptic isle or near pharmacy. very cheap and effective! Makes even crappy soap work well!

6. rollsshaver

It makes a good lubricant for other stuff too.....................

7. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

That's where I got mine.

8. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Ball bearings and axles?

9. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I think he was talking about his days while incarcerated:eek:

10. rollsshaver

Hey Shawn.....

Go Suck Eggs!!!

11. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Other than adding to a hard soap, does it really help with a good cream? Are there other ways to use glycerine (stick with a shaving theme! ha)??

12. rollsshaver

It actually is great as an additive to any cream, IMO. If a certain cream is just not slick enough, a little glycerine will slicken it up. it also adds a little to the moisturizing properties without harming the lather.

13. rrp1501

rrp1501 New Member

Thanks! I may have sounded dumb, but, I don't know anyone who has a clue about what I'm talking about around here. Including myself most of the time!

14. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

I just melted a puck of glycerin shave soap that was just OK into my shave mug. While it was still hot I added 1 oz. of glycerin and stirred it well. My lather yesterday was very slick and very effective. It's a cheap repair for any disappointing soap.

15. punisher

punisher New Member

Walmart

Walmart or CVS. Whenever I use Williams I add a few drops of gylcerin. It seems to help.

16. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

The problem with glycerin is that if you add enough of it it starts to draw moisture from the skin into the air. A 5% mix is considered optimal (or at least the upper limit) for skin lotions, so I think that the same number can be used as a ballpark figure for soaps and creams as well.

17. razoir

razoir New Member

Should have...

Should have read this thread before asking about glycerin in my cream. Thanks for all the feedback and humor, though!

18. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

what else is in glycerin soap?

That is very interesting Stuggi. I have always assumed that a glycerin soap is 100% glycerin, but I guess that is not so? I figured if they were quite clear they were. Any idea what the rest of the soap is made up of? I checked some soaps I have that say glycerin and there are no other ingredients listed.