Poor man's slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TeachMe, Jan 28, 2009.

1. TeachMe

TeachMe New Member

Reading about how slants work, and seeing the "Gillette slide" demonstrated on YouTube got me thinking. Is it possible to recreate the effect of a slant by turning the razor to a slight angle? In other words, instead of the razor perpendicular to the hair, have it turned at a slight angle. I think that this would increase the risk of nicks and cuts, so I have not tried this, nor will I likely try it any time soon since I am still learning and focusing on normal technique. Just got me thinking so I thought I'd ask. If this is a dumb question, let the rotten tomato throwing begin :)

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I think they'd crack before they'd bend.

3. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

The slant isn't just a matter of having the razor at an angle - the blade has different exposures from one end to the other. Holding the razor at an angle might just slice your face.

4. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I would say you would have more luck by taking a vintage razor and bending the safety bar down so that it gradually slopes. Then repeat and do on the other side.

I will let you do the experiment, but tell me how it works:D

5. tom myers

tom myers Member

The "Gillette slide" does, in fact, put the razor at an angle relative to the direction of the stroke. In this case, the razor is horizontal relative to your face, and the stroke is somewhat diagonal. If you had the razor at a slight angle and took a stroke directly north to south on your face, it would give the same result.

Yes, this does simulate the same thing that the slant razor does; provide a slight slicing motion of the blade to the whiskers. In either event, whether practicing the "Gillette slide", or turning the razor at a slight angle, don't overdo the angle or you will slice more than just the whiskers. :eek:

Regards,
    Tom

6. Milton

Milton New Member

I've done the "poor man's slant" on a few shaves a little while back before I picked up a 37C. It worked... ok. Not much closer or better than shaving normally with a straight bar. Its just a bit harder to grip and hold it at the right slant angle and harder to keep the angle of the blade to your face correct. Not really any significant gain. The gillette slide works well, but the "poor man's slant" isn't really beneficial IMHO.

7. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

Mantic vid

There is a Mantic video (advanced techniques?) showing him not only pulling the razor down his cheek but forwards at the same time. This would have the same effect of holding the razor at an angle. Obviously getting it wrong would be messy. I usually hold the razor at an angle so that one corner of the blade is slightly ahead of the other corner rather than hold the blade completely perpendicular to the direction of travel.
    Hope this makes sense.

8. mmack66

mmack66 Member

Rather than attempting to properly manage 3 or 4 different shave techniques in one stroke, just go buy a Slant razor.

9. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

As I read through this thread, I keep picturing the deli meat slicer.

10. riffin

riffin Active Member

I do the "Gillette Slide" pretty much as my usual stroke. I use the standard perpendicular stroke on the first WTG pass. I came up with this technique after looking at several slant razors. Very soon after, I saw Mantic's video and realized it wasn't so crazy. :rolleyes: I call it a Slant Stroke.

I like the slant stroke over a slant bar razor for flexibility. I find it easier to adjust the degree of the slant if the blade edge is perpendicular to the handle. I've come to use a steeper angle on the easier patches, flat surfaces with lighter hair, like my cheeks. The risk of slicing isn't as great. I also like to swap the "sign" of the slant. I mean the edge slopes down going left to right instead of up, or vice versa. I do short alternating slant strokes on the 2nd pass on my neck. I can go ATG with this technique 2nd pass and be done be done with my neck. Doing only two passes on my neck really reduces irritation on this problem area. I found alternating this way led to some awkward positions with a slant bar razor.

11. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

This seems like a good place to bring up something different but related.
    I just got back from Thailand where I bought a nice little DE razor. Similar to the Feather portable in size, but with a plastic sleeve on the handle.
    On the back of the box it has instructions. Written in Thai, but illustrated. It shows how to insert the blade and an alternate method in which you leave out the blade guard and use a small washer that is provided. I found it to be a bit wonky but it has potential. I call it the unsafety razor.

12. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I use the Gillette slide regularly on parts of my face, I think it does have the same slicing effect that a slant provides. It isn't the same as shaving with a slant, but it does give that slicing effect.

13. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

Yep, just get a slant. I had one, sold it. Then realized I couldn't live without it. Bought another one. It's my everday razor now. The 39C is wonderful.

14. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

This is what most straight shavers do since the "gillette-slide" is very hard to do with a straight. Much easier to just go up and down... :)

15. TeachMe

TeachMe New Member

Thank you for the replies. I am still a long way from trying any advanced techniques or getting a slant. My question was more just for curiosity, and now I understand a little better that the slant razor is more complex than I thought. So far no cuts from my Krona, so I'll do my best the keep the streak going and not try any "hey I wonder what'll happen if I ..." moves.