Advice on warm lather

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by dgcrell, Jan 29, 2009.

1. dgcrell

dgcrell New Member

Ok, so I ran hot water through my bowl for a few minutes and I let the brush sit in hot water too.

I then dumped the water, plugged the drain, added some hot water, and set the bowl down with some cream in the hot water.

The lather wasn't cold, but it was lukewarm at most. Any good ways to get a hot lather? I'm not buying any other pieces of equipment.

Thanks!

2. maxpower

maxpower Member

Hmmmm. That is exactly what I used to do and the lather was plenty warm. Maybe my water is hotter? Maybe I put more water in the sink?

Should be pretty warm if you do it this way.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    What kind of bowl?

Microwave some water.

4. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I float my bowl in a sinkful of hot water too - works great.

I use a thin stainless steel bowl which transmits the heat well. The bowl is big enough (maybe 5 inches wide, 3 deep) that it will float the brush in it too - so the whole rig is floating in hot water. The brush helps the bowl to sink into the water for best heat transmission. The foam in the brush stays warm that way as well which helps a lot.

5. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

I snipped the only thing I can see that could be the culprit, other than people having differing definitions of "hot". When you say you plug the drain, did you just run hot water over the brush and bowl, or let it soak in a full sink of hot water? If the latter, then I've got nothin'.

If the former, then try this: Fill the sink with hot water and submerge the bowl and the brush in it for a few minutes. Some do this through the entire shower. This gets the bowl and brush reasonably warm.

Then empty the sink and repeat, filling the sink with a new batch of hot water. Submerge the bowl and brush again for a minute, then empty the bowl, shake out the brush, and see if you get warmer lather.

Again, if I just described exactly what you do, then my Doug Flutie "I hope I'm misunderstanding something" attempt failed. (Sorry.)

6. saltypete

saltypete New Member

I too found that the water from the tap was not hot enough for a good lather. What I have been doing lately is boiling the kettle and filling my ceramic mug with that, then leave it while I shower. By the time I've showered the mug is almost too hot to hold and the resulting lather is much better. The only caveat is that I don't soak my brush while I shower as I'm afraid the water may be too hot and therefore ruin my brush.

Pete

7. Blades

Blades New Member

That's what I do, but I just make my lather and set the bowl in the hot water. It isn't at hot as I would like, but okay.
    I thinking about getting an electric kettle, make some boiling water while I shower.

8. razoir

razoir New Member

that, too

yes, float the tub in hot water in the sink. Soak the brush in the sink, too, while you're at it (while shower, pourquoi pas?). Works nice.

9. Tmax

Tmax New Member

I use a small ceramic bowl which sits nicely ontop of a plastic 1litre jug.

My hot water is too hot to handwash with.

I fill bowl with hot water & sit brush in that while I prep.
    I then soak a flannel (face towel) with hot water from tap, I carefully press excess water out - make a hot towel wrap by putting flannel inside a folded handtowel - wrap around my face.

Empty bowl - shake water from brush and start lathering. The lather is warm at this point. I brush on face, the sit bowl ontop of the jug filled with hot water (acting as a bay marie).

After first pass i re-lather and the soap is noticably warmer for sitting on jug.

If I need to open a window to stop condensation on mirror - I make sure the bowl is NOT infront of the window - here in the UK it is snowing again, about -2'c outside.

----------
    Simon
    London UK

10. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I used to use the bowl float in sink method too. However my sink is kind of small, and I found the water sloshing into the bowl during the shave thinned out my lather too much. I bought a second bowl and soak both in a hot sink. Then later I fill the outer bowl w/ about 1/4 hot water and stick the lather bowl inside it. Kind of a home made scuttle. About half way through the shave I dump the outer bowl and scoop a bit of hot water out of the sink to reheat it. Works fairly well though not an ideal solution.

I've tried the hot kettle method. Too time consuming and too many tools and gadgets laying around. I don't want to be running back and forth to a microwave so that's out. All the scuttles I've seen are too narrow for whipping decent lather. So the method described above is about the best I've come up with. Just make sure you use thick clay or ceramic bowls and it works pretty good.

11. mercV12

mercV12 Member

How about this? The heat is constant and adjustable and i got mine at Target for $8.00. A bargain! I've wasted more money on a bad movie.

Attached Files:

12. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Now that is a coool (should I say hot?) pot ya got there! I guess they make those for cooking tiny little chickens?

That would do it. Doesn't take up any room. I will see if I can find one of those.

thnx

13. grottolord

grottolord New Member

Very hot lather

I bought a Chefmate 1qt water boiler at target also it boils the water in about 1min, i just got a Dirty Bird Scuttle that i fill with the boiling water from the Chefmate, also fill the top bowl and let the brush sit in in a min , only problem is the lather is too hot, almost burns my face think ill try not filling the top with water before the shave,

14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Georgetown scuttle

The new Georgetown scuttles keep the water super-hot, almost like a thermos -- so the lather is very warm and comfortable for a 3- 4-pass shave.

15. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I do about the same thing as Pete. I too was concerned with brush damage, and add the brush when I'm done with my other prep. When using a cream product, I use the small stainless bowl float method and it works out just as well.

16. sas71

sas71 Member

id fill the DB with the boiling water then get my shower..by then it should be just right

17. Trevor

Trevor Ooh dream razor. I believe you can get me through

I was just thinking about this last night. it would cut out the cup of boiling water.

18. Sansnom

Sansnom New Member

That Chefmate is a clever idea...the small footprint is the real advantage. Maybe I'll drop by Target tomorrow...