Fatboy Question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by poppi, Jan 29, 2009.

1. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

The Astra Superior Platinum is the only blade I've tried that works well in EVERY razor I've tried it in. The Fatboy with the Astra or Bic Platinum is a good shave, but I'd rate the 50's Superspeed with an Astra or 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge as the best I've tried. Include some MWF and you've true shaving nirvana.

2. Hi poppi,

Here's the real deal about the fatboy. This isn't an opinion btw...this is a fact. Heh, my opinion WILL follow afterwards.

I've had lots of experience with the various gillette adjustables, having used both length handles of super adjustables, fatboys, executives, and toggle models. Used em all for a while over the years, so I know the deal with em pretty well. The fatboy has a different head design from any of those razors listed, except for the Executive I believe. That one's basically a gold fatboy, so it makes sense they'd be very similar.

The thing is, the fatboy shaves me differently than those supers, the slim, and the toggle. The rounded head acts almost like a safety mechanism for me, since it helps in keeping the blade angle correct. It's unlike almost all other gillettes.

Man........maybe Chris or Rick would post a pic of the razors lined up to compare. I'm pretty sure Chris did one a long time ago.

Anyway, the fatboy is heavier than the slims and supers, and the weight is distributed quite differently. Fatboy's head heavy, which I prefer. It truly does make using no pressure much easier for me. I can't do that with a superspeed or slim.......the weight's just not there.

Heh, here's the opinion part:

I finally settled on the fatboy as my regular shaver about a year ago, and I've tried lots of other razors as well during that period. I have yet to find another razor that gives me as comfortable a shave as the fatboy does. That design fits my face perfectly.

So, I think you need to see for yourself. PM me, and we can try fixing that problem. I may have one I can loan you for a little while. As you know, these shaving tools vary wildly, and you never know what's up till you try em.

One thing more that I should mention which may be important. That would be the fact that I can use a feather blade in my fatboy, and receive an excellent shave. Close and very comfortable....not even feeling the blade. I was not able to achieve that with the slims or supers. So, keep in mind that certain blades may work in this razor that don't so well in others.

I hope that helps in some way,
    Martin

Oh...about which one is better? It's really a personal thing. Slims and fatboy fans are split about 50/50, although the fatboy gets more publicity. The long handle super also has it's admirers, myself included. I enjoyed the shaves with those a good bit......was the first DE I tried.

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

This is the only one I could find Martin.

Fat Boy, Slim, short handle SA, long handle SA
    [​IMG]

4. HI Chris,

That's a nice pic, but not the one I was thinking of. Heh, I have no clue where I saw it, but it was a shot facing the end caps like yours is. The difference was that it showed the more extreme dome shape of the fatboy, and the flatter heads of the others.

Your pic just doesn't quite have the right angle, but thanks for making the effort.

I appreciate that,
    Martin

5. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Interesting to see that the Slim isn't much longer than the FatBoy. I thought the difference was greater, never put mine to eachother...

6. grottolord

grottolord New Member

fat Boy, you gotta try it

look its all personal choice and alot has to do with Nostalgia and your face,
    but that being said, the Fat boy has a reputaiton for a reason, it's a great shaver,,,, ive got all kind of shavers DE straights, Fire, Shells you name it,
    you wont know till you try a fatboy , a few times, if youve shave with multiple shavers youll know what i mean,
    As mikey's Brother said , Try it youll like it,
    Grottolord

7. grottolord

grottolord New Member

fat Boy, you gotta try it

[​IMG]

look its all personal choice and alot has to do with Nostalgia and your face,
    but that being said, the Fat boy has a reputaiton for a reason, it's a great shaver,,,, ive got all kind of shavers DE straights, Fire, Shells you name it,
    you wont know till you try a fatboy , a few times, if youve shave with multiple shavers youll know what i mean,
    As mikey's Brother said , Try it youll like it,
    Grottolord

8. Darth

Darth New Member

All things being equal and on a level playing field. That means a very good blade, a razor thats in top condition and proper shaving technic. I've found the Fat boy a smooth operater. Hard to beat by any other Gillette adjustable. The only other adjustable to give it a run for it money is the Merkur Progress. You can't loose with a Fat Boy...they go like hot cakes on E Bay.

9. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input y'all. Looks like I need to get one of my own and check it out. Time to start saving those nickels and dimes, maybe even some quarters.

10. Kerflop

Kerflop Member

This is great info... I have been bidding on a few "Fat Boys" on ebay. I look forward to owning one soon :)

11. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Well, just picked up a Fatboy off the 'bay. Now to wait patiently and try it immediately upon arrival. Well, maybe after a good cleaning, then a try out.

I'm looking forward to this and hope it's as good as I think. I'll keep ya posted.

12. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Same here. Got one with a case last night for $38. Another one last night went from $19.95 to $29 in the last 30 sec. it's due to ship Wednesday and should be here for the weekend.

13. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

So you're the one!!! :D Enjoy

14. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

I only grabbed the one with the case. I was only watching the second one to see what would happen after it hit a minute to go and was still only $19.95.