Hog hair is chic!

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by TG_Charles, Jan 30, 2009.

1. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

I remember several years ago when I was a diehard pure bristle man. I had two wood handle Omegas that I rotated to ensure they had ample time to dry out between shaves... and, life was simple and joyful. Then I started poking around a couple of shave forums and I got the feeling that if one didn’t shave with an ultra soft (ultra expensive) badger hair brush, well, one was the shave soap scum of the Earth. Hence, I slowly built up a small collection of badger brushes and my self esteem was fortified with the knowledge that I was just as cool as all the other shave geeks. But, am I?

There seems to be a movement afoot. Everyday a new thread pops up extolling the virtues of the boar brush. Has hog hair become chic? I see custom wood handles being turned out for boar plugs! Is the badger on the run? What is going on?

2. JimR

JimR Active Member

Oh my oh my, you have no idea! It's a populist movement to rival the October Revolution...or a Bruce Springsteen concert!

Boar Can (most certainly) Do More, my friend, and don't let the Badgerati tell you otherwise. Break those stately old Omegas out of retirement and hoist your bristles high...let the pig fly!!!!

3. [​IMG]

I would say if you like all your brushes use them in rotation & enjoy them. If some of the more expensive ones aren't preferable to the others sell them; second hand brushes always seem to achieve reasonable prices.

Regards,

Paul

4. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

WOW ! that would make a great calender photo.

5. Labarum

Labarum New Member

Recently my wife drove off to visit family and I followed a couple of days later by train. Of course I travelled light, have sent stuff ahead with her in the car.

I have one modestly price badger brush and an old supermarket boar brush. It was the old boar brush I sent on with some soap in a tub. The stiffer brush worked up a realy nice lather in the soap tub. I have always thought badger a little too soft although it works well enough with creams.

Perhaps I should try a good quality boar. Any recommendations on the UK market.

I am not proud or doctrinaire, how do modern synthetics work?

6. I have yet to use an omega syntex which I have seen positive reviews of, but I do have a Rooney synthetic brush, that works quite well but a little to scratchy for me though. Kent has some nice looking boar brushes on their site but I haven't ever used one.

I can recommend the omega 48 (Proraso) boar brush, it's soft & a very large brush that makes good lather & feels really soft especially after it's been broken in.

Regards,

Paul

7. Poulin

Poulin New Member

Funny... I just posted in a thread elsewhere that I have a nice Edwin Jagger boar that I took out of my inventory because I couldn't resist its charms. I like it. I don't use it as often as I probably should.

Maybe I should place an order for more nice looking boar brushes.... hmm..

8. TESC don't have any on their website, can you post a pic?

Regards,

Paul

9. Poulin

Poulin New Member

10. Nice looking handle.

Thanks,

Paul

11. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Well I've been shaving with the VDH pure bristle brush and have been totally happy but was convinced I was missing something not having a badger.

Not having a lot to spend right now on non-essential stuff I decided to try a Tweezerman badger which I've seen good reviews on here and elsewhere.

On my first use I was first suprised when holding it under the hot water faucet as I watched water run off it like water off a ducks back having been used to seeing my boarshair swell up and absorb the water. My next surprise was when I put it to my face and it felt "scritchey" or prickley where the VDH was soft and luxurious feeling. My third disappointment was when I realized that the knot size was 5mm smaller on the Tweezerman than the VDH, who uses a 22mm knot, a 12 year old on his first shave?? It's absolutely TINY compared to the VDH.

I'm not at all impressed with my first badger encounter. Sure I know it's smaller and a cheaper grade hair than on the more expensive brushes but it cost twice what my VDH cost and does less than half the job.

Bottom line is I'm happy with Boars hair and will probably stick with it, I see no reason to spend big bucks on an expensive badger. I just wish I could find boars hair brushes with the nicer handles on them. Some are nice yeah but the really cool looking ones all seem to be sprouting badger hair.

My experience has also made me acutely aware of the importance of knot size and many of the brush sites do not tell you the sizes, you'd think that would be standard.

I've been considering that Omega 98 professional "barbers brush" with the long black handle right above the Edwin Jagger of Paul's on the site he linked to. However both my present boars hair brushes (one of which is the same as the Col conk "country uncle") have the standard length bristles which work well for me and I'm concerned the longer bristles on the 98 will be "floppy". Can anyone advise me on this? I have large hands and would prefer a bigger handle like that one and everyone seems to rave about the Omegas.

edit: ps to Poulin, I love your "Institut Karité Extra Gentle Shaving Soap", that is really great stuff!

12. If you are keen on a big but not floppy brush the Omega 49 is stiffer than the 48 although still has the soft feel to it. Larger boar brushes do spread out but they still remain firm, so good with soaps or creams.

Best regards,

Paul

13. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Thanks Paul, I'll check that out. And sorry, I think I mixed your name up with Poulin. I edited my previous post to make the change.

14. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Well, I found an Omega 49 on Ebay for $10.99 and ordered a red one. I had seen that brush before and was already considering it. Didn't know it's designation as it's not stated on Ebay. It's cheaper than what I paid for the Tweezerman! I'm very excited and can't wait for it to arrive!

15. JimR

JimR Active Member

Huzzah!!!!

16. Good price. They come in red, white & black, not sure what happened to the green one. I will be interested in your review of this brush. I have used my black 49 about 20 times & it's starting to break in nicely.

Regards,

Paul

17. Poulin

Poulin New Member

I'm glad the IK soap is working out for you!. I've ordered some more boar bristle brushes that have nice handles. As for the Omega 98, I have just emailed a customer of mine who bought one and ask his opinion or ask him to post a review. He did write me and tell me he "loves" it, but didn't give me a review.

updated: the email I sent to him was just returned as undeliverable :( Sorry.

18. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

I'm definately looking forward to trying it out and will post my review of it here after a couple of shaves. All my other brushes (only 3 so far) are dull colors so I really wanted this one in red. It really looks sharp for a cheap brush.

I can't believe how long that stuff lasts, two weeks (14 shaves) and yet it's hardly the worse for wear and it lathers like a son of a gun!

I signed up for the email updates and will keep an eye out for those, thanks!

Thanks anyway, I may yet give it a try as I do like the handle (though I wish it came in other than black) and it's only about $16.99 on Ebay. I did find a review of it on B&B that gave it good marks and nothing about it being "floppy" lol. But I want to see how things go with the 49 first.

19. Poulin

Poulin New Member

It works out to about $18 US dollars on my site.

20. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Member

Well it is god to see that I am not the only one who is disillusioned with the badger.. Don't get me wrong my badger brush is truly luxurious but there really is something about the slightly scratchy feeling of a nice bristle brush. Now I just need to source good quallity bristle knots so I can make a few nice handles to go with them.