Order of blade sampling?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DoctorWho, Feb 1, 2009.

1. DoctorWho

DoctorWho New Member

I just got my blade sampler pack from westcoastshaving.com. Here are the blades I got:

Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum (10 blades)
    Crystal or "Israeli" (10 blades)
    Derby Extra (5 blades)
    Gillette Platinum (5 blades)
    DORCO Platinum (10 blades)

I read that the feather is super sharp so I am guessing that the order of sampling would be reverse, trying the sharpest blades last:

Dorco, Gillette Platinum, Derby, Crystal, Feather

Did I get that right? I have some time - I am still stuck on choosing a brush.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Sounds like a good order to me.

Also, moving this thread to Safety Razors forum.

3. DoctorWho

DoctorWho New Member

Thanks!

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Apparently my bump skills are lacking a bit lately. :o

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Don't think that's quite mild to sharp in order, but it's good enough.

6. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

My only real tweak would be swap the Crystals and the Gillettes in the marching order. Starting with Dorcos and ending with Feathers, though, is a good answer.

7. Musky

Musky New Member

I concur with the previous post switch the Gillettes with the Crystals and you will have them in a good mild to sharp order. Good luck and do not be intimidated by the Feathers, they are a wonderfully smooth blade that just need a light touch.

8. DoctorWho

DoctorWho New Member

Thanks for all this awesome advice. The place I bought the sampler from didn't get into that so this is really, really helpful. I've been pretty busy of late so I haven't been checking in but again this is great folks.

I just got my brush from some recommendations in the newbie forum and I am ready to give it a go. I'll be reading the newbie advice again, watching mantic videos (again) and I'll start my innagural DE shave this weekend with the Dorkos.

I've already read a bunch of posts about blade life so this n00b won't be asking that :smile:

9. Chief Running Bare

Chief Running Bare New Member

Am I allowed go off topic just momentarily to say I love your avatar and username Doctor Who! I am a big big fan and especially of the 4th doc.. :D

10. DoctorWho

DoctorWho New Member

Yes!

11. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I would recommend using the feathers and gillettes last. Everything else is about the same. I dont find any of those others to be sharp.