Proraso vs. Trumper's

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by dgcrell, Feb 2, 2009.

1. dgcrell

dgcrell New Member

So I just got my razor set today. It came with Trumper's lime. I also have a tube of Proraso on hand.

Seems to me that the Proraso lathers better. It takes a while to get a good lather with the Trumper's. And the Trumper's seems to require more cream and is more temperamental about the amount of water used.

Anyone else agree? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong with the Trumper's? It's an expensive cream, i'd really like to enjoy it and not feel like I wasted a lot of money...

2. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I get tons of lather out of my Trumpers Limes. I also find it dense and not airy so its very nice. both are very good creams IMO. I did a review of the Trumpers Limes with pics I believe and you can see the amt of lather achieved. I love both and really think both deserve respect:) I will admit though that.......I now use an almond size amt of cream regardless of the cream now. Some you can lather up with a pea size some you cant. Why chintz on it? I would say measured it would be 1/2 tsp per use.

edit: here is review and pics.....still get a ton of lather:)

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

On the opposite end, I don't like either of these creams. I find Proraso's scent unpleasanct, but it is otherwise fine (performs appropriately for the price). Trumper's just isn't slick enough for my preferences and the scents are just so-so. IMHO, Trumper's would be more appropriately priced to its performance at $8/tub instead of $30.

Of course, I'm really taking more to soaps so take my cream opinions with a grain of salt.

4. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I get the best results with Trumper soap (among others). That said, I think Proraso cream performs right up there with many creams that cost a lot more. If all I cared about was a good shave, Proraso, given its cost, would be a go-to product.

Jordan

5. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Proraso is a good cream, from a performance and cost perspective. Unfortunately I found the scent to be the biggest turn off. I used it for a short time thinking I'd get used to it but never did.

6. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Personally, I'm not big on either of the two creams. I have to revisit Proraso, but I can speak about the Trumpers creams. The lather is decent, but I find it a little drying and not as cushioning and protective as TOBS. My stance on Trumpers cream is that it is a decent product, but that I would not pay anywhere near full price for any of it.

7. dgcrell

dgcrell New Member

Some of it might also be my brush. I just got a Vulfix 2233. It has super badger hair. I had been using an Art of Shaving Pure badger brush. The AOS seems to work better than the Vulfix. I get a better lather with both the Trumper's and the Proraso. Strikes me as odd, I thought the Vulfix is supposed to be better since it has super badger hair.

Anyway, we will see how the Trumper's is over the next couple weeks. But so far I'm not too impressed. The smell is nearly non-existent once you make the lather. It feels nice on my face, but so does the Proraso.........at 1/3 the price. At $30 a tub, I expect great feel, smell, etc.

8. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Member

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on Trumpers, it is overpriced for the performance. I also find it disappointing that the scent is very weak once you whip it up into lather, I would prefer something just a little stronger. But if it were 8-10 dollars a tub I would buy it, not at $30 though.

9. cvac

cvac Member

So far I've tried Trumpers Rose and Sandalwood creams. They seemed to lather fine, a little creamier out in the little jar than TOBS Avocado in the tub. My problem with them was that they irritated my skin a bit, the Sandalwood moreso than the Rose. Recently I got some Trumpers Rose shave soap and it seems to work much better for me than the Trumpers creams I've tried so far.

Proraso is pretty good, but I don't use it that often. The scent doesn't bother me, I kinda like it. I do use the Proraso pre-shave cream everytime I shave though. Currently waiting on the Proraso Aloe & Green Tea soft soap in a tub.