Gillette #58!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Stuggi, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

I shaved this morning with my new gillette #58 (Looks unused with mint box, only missing blade pack!), and it's practically the best shave I've ever had. And I thought my straights were sharp and well shaving... I really need to do some more work on them, not near comfortable enough!

Pics later this evening when I get home! :D

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Congratulations on your great shave!

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I also acquired a #58 recently, and am equally impressed with the shaves it provides.

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Very nice! I look forward to the pictures!

5. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Member

Definitely need some pics.

6. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

um......YEAH !!

[​IMG]

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Yah I want pictures of both! My #58 is probably my second favorite Gillette, second only to the President.

8. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

I am amazed.... where do you guys keep find these things?

9. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

Thanks mate, it really learnt me a lot about how sharp a razor is supposed to be, only downside is that I was quite a bit off... :D

Yeah, it's so smooth that I constantly has to check if the blade is touching my skin or if I'm just scraping lather of with the safety bar... :D

Here you go! Took quite a while to get that one just right! :D

[​IMG]

On a Finnish auction site, for only 33€! With mint case and 2 vintage "Bismark Extra" blades from Solingen, Germany! :D

10. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

Oh, I forgot, that's how it looked when it arrived, I couldn't get it any shinier! If I didn't know it had been used (lot's of used blades came with it), I wouldn't be able to tell if it has ever been out of that box. :D

11. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

A testament to the outstanding quality of construction of British Gillette razors. All of my Brits look like they were barely used.

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

They are one of the classiest safety razors made IMO. Great looking one Stuggi!

13. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

+1 They seem to have the most unique look of any Gillette razor.

By the way, love the new avatar, Chris! :happy102

Personally, I think they should give him another gold medal because, if he can smoke pot and still swim like that, he is DAMN good! :D

14. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

Yeah, I'm personally surprised that it was just that good looking, I was expecting much worse than that. Now I just need to clean it out since it's not as pristine looking from blade glue and soap scum anymore... :D

15. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Exactly, I'm even more impressed by him now. The guy needs some support. I tore USA Swimming and Kellogg's a new one today! :D

16. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Yeah, God forbid he should be human. :rolleyes:

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Beautiful score!

18. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

Nice, very nice! Congrats on the great shave as well!

19. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

Yeah, today I shaved with a freshly honed Shumate #125, and the shave was really good as well. I think it's because I spent more time on the hones and taking my time that gave me this nice shave, and that more time taken was quite directly due to the perspective the 58 gave me. :D I can still see why people switched over to DE's, since they might seem amazingly better if you aren't aware of the fact that properly honed straights give closer shaves. :D

20. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

oh man, thats michael phelps. this whole time i thought it was jon from jon and kate plus 8.