Safety razor problem?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by razoir, Feb 6, 2009.

1. razoir

razoir New Member

Hi all,

I have a Parker R91. It's not a bad razor at all (heavy, long, easy to use....and relatively cheap), really but, after having used it several times (just purchased it), I've noticed that one side of the razor allows a little bit more of the blade to protrude than the other, thereby making one side pretty tight as far as shaving goes and the other softer, less able to get at hairs. It's a little annoying to say the least. I think you can all feel my pain here. I can shave with the grain with the sharper side, then against later with the softer side...trying to take the good from the bad...

Is this just how it's going to be or is there something I can do here? I've tried to adjust it, tighten it, use different blades...same problem. The difference is really minimal when you look at it, but you can feel it for sure. I don't want to use only one side all of the time, kind of defeats the purpose of a double sides blade---any suggestions or experience with this?

Thanks!

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Welcome to the Shave Den, razoir!

I have found the Parker razors to be made cheaply, therefore problems like yours aren't that uncommon. Someone knowing this exact type of razor will surely be with you shortly to assist you better than I - as a straight razor guy . can ever do.

3. razoir

razoir New Member

Parker Razoir

Glad to get a quick reply! Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I suspected that it was sort of a cheap razor--you can imagine the frustration, especially since I have nice components (very nice brush, good creams, aftershave, etc...). The razor leaves something to be desired. I'm already thinking about another razor or even looking for a straight razor--I think that would be an option.

Razoir

4. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Member

I don't think there is much you can really do, it all has to do with manufacturing tolerances when the razor was produced.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There is not much to do with a TTO razor. Looking into a good vintage Gillette maybe. A good Super Speed can be picked up for little to nothing and will provide you with years of great shaves. Also Check into some of the SE razors. Such as the Gem Jr. Great shavers also.

That is the Bunny's $.02

Fuzzy

6. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

Good advice. Also look at the Weishi, if you like TTOs. I have one and it's very well made and shaves very nicely.

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I thought a Parker 91 was a 3-piece. I don't have one, but had looked into them at one point in time.

If you want a good 3-Piece- within 3 piece razors, a Feather Portable (not the popular), a Merkur, or a vintage Gillette.

8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

It's to bad about your razor, I would contact the dealer and see about refund or replacement.

I have a 91r that I use regularly and have no problems at all with it. It's a good shaver.

9. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Pardon the mild thread hijack, but I'm curious about others experience with the 91R. A new razor is in my plans for later in the year (after getting an Omega boar and some things from TSD store). Most reports on the 91R are really good and it makes me think about getting one, with the alternative for me being a Merkur classic or HD. I know the Parker TTO models have a very poor reputation, but I thought the 3-piece models were getting better reviews and had better manufacturing.

10. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I've had 2 Parkers now and have had no problems. Have an 89r and a 91r. Dropped the 89r and bent it pretty bad (dont' ask how). Went on to the 91r. Both have been great shavers. The build quality (on mine) is superb, very well done and both handle very well. They are a bit aggressive so keep that in mind. I would recommend them if you're looking for a new 3 piece razor.

11. razoir

razoir New Member

Closure

Thanks to everyone who read and contributed to this thread.

Following the advise of others and due to my own personal obsession, I did purchase another razor. This time, I found a Merkur long-handled DE. I love ti so much (quality shave, not too aggressive, not too bland, very even), that I've shaved 5 days straight with it. Nice.

Razoir

12. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I had that problem once with a super adjustable. The saftey bar wasnt the same height on both sides and resulted in different blade exposures. After messing with it for a good while I tossed it.

13. razoir

razoir New Member

Yeah, I was close to tossing that Parker but will use it as a carrot peeler instead. The Merkur I got after is great. I look forward to shaving stress-free now and have been using it every day almost. Well worth the extra dough.

14. rainman

rainman New Member

Your carrot slices might not be even and not cook uniformly

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Your slipping this thread is not over a year old. Got bored with bumping the dusty ones?

16. rainman

rainman New Member

Actually I tracked down all of the Parker 91R threads and posting in them to gauge reactions on the razor since I'm considering buying one.

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Bumping dusty threads is annoying to some people.. let me help out with your quest in a more forum friendly format.

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?p=226612#post226612