Show Them Knotty Badgers!

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Gillette_Man, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Some of the newer members here may not be aware that our very own Rodd makes some beautiful hand-turned wood brushes, and I think we need to get a thread going to show them off and give Mr. Rodd some props for his work. So, if you own one of these bad boys, let's see it!

Here's my Silvertip in Black Palm:

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I'll post a pic of my Knotty when I get back home, but I'm proud to own THE #1!:happy108:happy108:happy108

3. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

Rodd is working on one for me as we speak! I can't wait to get it and you bet there will be pictures!

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The Queen of the Knotty Badgers!

Rodd posted better pics somewhere around here.
    [​IMG]

Need to take some post bloom shots. :o

5. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

That's an awesome looking brush there JoAnna! I love the game of Chess and that gives me an idea, I'd love to have a brush with a White Knight for the handle, I'll have to give that some thought.

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Come on, people! This is pathetic! Do you mean to tell me that JoAnna and I are the only members who bought brushes from Rodd?

Tsk, tsk. You don't know what you're missing. :rolleyes005

7. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I have a brush rebristled my Rodd if that counts? Damn fine job also!

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I know he does great work with the rebristling, but this thread is for his ground-up brushes. ;)

9. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Well I hope to maybe be a future purchaser of one of Rodd's masterpieces depending on deciding what I want and saving the funds.

In the meantime for us novices to the terminology could you please define what exactly a "Knotty" badger is? I'm familiar with "Pure" and "Best" and "Super" and "Silvertip" but haven't a clue what Knotty badger is.

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

This is just his company name -- the usual terminology still applies to the hair quality.

11. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Well thanks for the explanation, actually I was thinking it must be something along those lines but kind of dismissed the idea since the purpose of the thread was to introduce newcomers to Rodd's work so I thought if that was it it would have been mentioned. So I was thinking it must be something to do with the way the brushes were made or the materials but thanks for straightening me out.

12. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

BEHOLD, THE EVER RODDY.

[​IMG]

13. JimR

JimR Active Member

How about a Knotty Boar?
    [​IMG]

14. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Okay, props for clever word play. :happy102

That's the ticket!

15. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Nice one Jim! I really like that handle. I'm trying to decide on a design for a brush I hope to have made by Rodd in the future and something like that would be on my short list. What size knot is that on yours? Looks to be a 27mm or so but it's hard to tell from a stand alone pic.

16. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Sorry for being late..

Attached Files:

17. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

The first, ever!

This is the first ever Knotty Badger! It's a lovely brush and I'm proud to be the owner!

Attached Files:

18. JimR

JimR Active Member

Good eye! Yep. It's a knot from a 10083 Omega professional. 27mm.
    Comparison pics, you say?

How about these?
    [​IMG]
    and this:
    [​IMG]
    Next to a Futur and a 57 Tech.

And just for fun, next to my Kim Son silvertip (25mm loft) and Omega 21047 travel boar.
    [​IMG]

19. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Nice restore - Love the colors in the handle. I guess that might be why I chose that same handle to do my own restoration. Mine just doesn't look that nice. Rodd does great work!

20. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Another Knotty Badger refurb; An Ever Ready 300 refurbed with a silvertip badger knot.

Great work and "Thank you, Rodd!"

Before:

[​IMG]

After (pre bloom)

[​IMG]