My face feels tight after a shave

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by sas71, Feb 10, 2009.

1. sas71

sas71 Member

i guess it could be any number of things:

18-20 yrs of using disposables/cartridges, canned goo and elecs im sure my face is trying to get adjusted

only been using DE;s for a week now (9 shaves total)

im sure the brush might have some effect

the cream im using is TBS old formula and some EJ sample.

i have oily skin.

i dont use an aftershave i just rinse in cool water.

am i hitting on anything yet or all of the above??

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I'm guessing something you're using has an astringent in it. Does your TBS or EJ have any of the following?: witch hazel, menthol, ethanol, propanol, peppermint, spearmint, alum. May be others, but I think those are the most common astringents which will give a "tight" feel. I use alum to tighten my skin and it doesn't bother me. I guess if it was really extreme it would be an issue, but tight skin = no wrinkles, so I really don't mind.

3. Chief Running Bare

Chief Running Bare New Member

Mine feels tight too, but at my age i consider it a bonus when i can't afford a face lift! :D

4. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I find that a little balm will cure the tightness. I get that tight feeling after applying aftershave. Once the a/s dries I use a little balm and it remedies the tightness for me.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Good AS like Aqua Velva will help. Or like tracy said use a good Balm. I have some of the TBS old formula it is a good cream.

Fuzzy

6. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Exactly my experience.

7. sicklidz

sicklidz New Member

Am I the only freak that likes the feeling of a little tightness after a good shave? I've been DE shaving for about 2 months and use Ogalla AS and get that tightness after everything dries. My skin doesn't look dry and I don't often get dry skin so I'm guessing its the cold rinse and AS I use. It goes away in about 15 minutes though.

8. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Nope. I meant to add that to my previous post: while I do add an ASB, that's because my face will dry out in my climate. I like the post-splash tightness though...

9. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I hate the feeling of a tight face and hate astringents. A good ASB should cure it, as said above. The cold water rinse will tighten it up a little bit as it closes the poors but if it feels tight from that it probaly is because you're not used to amount of exfoliation you get from a DE and it dries you out a tad bit.

10. razoir

razoir New Member

Yes, I think the consensus is tight is generally good unless it really bothers you. I rinse my face post-shave with cold water for 20 seconds and then apply some balm--best, fresh feeling ever.

11. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

+1

If I don't use a balm my face also feels really tight.

12. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

What is this "breaking in your face" thing.
    I have seen people talk about it in numerous places, but it does not make any sense to me.

Have any of you gone for a while without shaving and then had to re-break your face?

13. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

You are breaking your face in to shaving w/ a DE blade. If you're only doing one or two passes w/ the blade then maybe there is no break-in period per se. However most DE shavers and particularly those new to the craft are shaving anywhere from 3 to 6 passes. With every pass you are removing a mico layer of skin and cells. The new DE shavers face is not used to that level of exfoliation as cartridge razors don't really operate that way. It takes a bit for your face to get used to it. Actually it's you yourself that is getting used to having a fresh face appear. My wife has commented numerous times how much better my face and skin look now days.

To the OP's question, I suggest a good aftershave that contains glycerin and/or aloe. AV is a good one, Musgo Real is also good, SCS AS's, Speick is nice. There are several. Or as mentioned you can use a balm, but I find them to be too greasy.