Soap Question

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Mike257, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Mike257

Mike257 New Member

Snooping around ebay , Im seeing a soap called Omega and another called Taylor of Old Bond street. I see a big difference in price between the two, but are they any good? I like the bowls both of them come in, the Omega has a black ceramic bowl and the Taylor is a dark wood,

2. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I haven't used either. I know the Omega soap has several fans around here. I don't know as much about the TOBS soaps as I do about their creams, which I love.

One of the major differences in costs, though, is likely the types of soaps they are. Unless I am mistaken, the Omega is a softer soap, or a harder cream. The TOBS soap is what is referred to as triple milled - it is much harder, and will last a lot longer than the Omega, most likely. Triple milled soaps typically do cost more up front, but many people feel they are actually cheaper in the long run, as they last so long.

3. Mike257

Mike257 New Member

Mike the TOBS soap is around $36 if I remember correctly and the Omega was like $6 , I happen to like the bowls they come in, I may end up with both just for the bowls.

4. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

That would be a black plastic bowl, not ceramic. And, in my opinion, the Omega soap is very good.

5. Mike257

Mike257 New Member

6. Mike257

Mike257 New Member

Charles thank you for that, I dont know what made me think it was ceramic.

7. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

I've only used the Proraso soap, which by all accounts is very similar to the Omega soap. To the extent they are similar, I'd second the opinion that Omega should be a good soap.

8. Mike257

Mike257 New Member

I want to try them all, I have a feeling Im gonna be doing a lot of shaving here. Im really wanting to try Wool Fat and see what thats all about

9. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

That's another great choice! Consensus is that it takes a bit extra effort to build the lather. I don't see a real reason to argue with that consensus opinion. That said, it's a great performer for me and my puck will last approximately forever. To save some cash, you can by Kent soap, which is rebranded MWF. (Though many like the MWF bowl which comes only with MWF itself.)

It's crazy how many great soaps and creams are out there. So many options, so few shaving days...

<sigh>

10. razoir

razoir New Member

exactly it

So many soaps/creams/oils/products---exactly, though, so litle time, just so many shaves. I have to shave every day now to keep up with all of my products. Bonheur!!

11. Tmax

Tmax New Member

Mke
    The Omega soap is almost certainly plastic - It looks very much like the type used for the Proraso Soap dish.
    The TOBS soaps are triple Milled Tallow (Beef Fat) soaps - last ages and are really good quality soaps (hence the price).

'cos the Bristish pound is so low, you might want to look at getting from the UK.
    I buy from Paul at connaughtshaving.com - he is reasonably priced - holds stocks - and offers a very good service.

Hope it helps

-------------
    Simon
    London UK

12. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

The Omega cream provides a phenomenal shave. I am told the soap performs identically. I've never used TOBS soaps but their creams are superior. That doesn't always translate however as L'Occitane soap is fantastic whereas the cream gets panned. If you're worried about risking funds, I'd go for the Omega soap. Maybe get ahold of a TOBS sample later if you can.

13. Mike257

Mike257 New Member

How is Trumper soap, Im looking at one called extracts of lime. Is $37.50 in a nice wooden bowl a good price for this, or should I go with Dr Harris , Im really wanting to own at least one soap in a wood bowl so I narrowed it down to these two.

14. Mike257

Mike257 New Member

Ok I just ordered my first soap, I went with Dr Harris Almond in the Mahogany bowl from SRD. Im not going to shave untill it gets here, then that will be my first shave with a straight razor.

15. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Mike, you should seriously consider getting a soap or two from The Shave Den store. It is handmade by our very own Queen of Blades (JoAnna). All the guys around here will no doubt tell you also that the performance of her soaps rival those of almost any of the high end English and Italian soaps. SHe also has a very wide scent variety to shose from. Scroll up to the top of the screen and click on "store" when you get in the store, go to the section of TSD exclusive products and find the soap. You will not be disappointed!!

16. Mike257

Mike257 New Member

I will definitly buy JoAnna's soaps, I have read nothing but good things. I pretty much wanted to get that Mahogany Bowl from Dr Harris, but Im gonna eventually try them all.

17. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I can get on board w/ this statement. TSD is one of the few small vendor soaps I care for. I would say it's in my top 3 for soaps. She uses just the right mix of clays, glycerin, oils and butters. To me the English and Italians make finer creams than soaps anyway.

18. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Another one that is a must have is the soaps from Art of Shaving. They truly do have one of the best tallow soaps available. And some Tabac, gotta have Tabac!! How about creams? Creams are great too. Especially the Italian made Noxzema!! Yummy!! If the good Lord shaved, he would use Noxzema lather shave.

You see how this can quickly become an expensive hobby...........

19. Mike257

Mike257 New Member

You guys are killing me, let me go see what I can buy.

20. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

BuuuuuuuuwwwwwwaaaaaaHaaaaHaaaaHaaaa!!!