I really like the look of these razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Mike257, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Ragnost

Ragnost Member

WHY

Why may I ask are all the custom razors you see all so big are they easer to make in 6/8ths and bigger than say a 4/8ths which is the size I much prefer but I have never seen a custom in this size :think002

2. AlanII

AlanII New Member

Presumably it's what's being asked for, them being customs and all that. It's an interesting point though. Are the people like yourself just not ordering customs?

3. RayG

RayG New Member

That is really unfortunate, Joe, since the prices end up rising out of reach for many. I wonder if it is proving to be advantageous for you in the end, since you had already made your name on your own, and people would have continued to seek you out. I don't imagine any "new" customers deciding to order a Chandler just because they "discovered" you on a vendor's site.

For newer makers trying to make their mark, it may even be more of a disadvantage, since the inflated prices make it less attractive to try out a lesser known, thought gifted, custom razor maker. Their razors seem to sit "on the shelves" for much longer.

As Gabor had pointed out, restored "custom" vintage razors have become an attractive option to satisfy people's cravings, at a quarter of the cost. Especially with today's economy. It seems quite a few talented new restorers have sprouted, turning out good work, and appear to be quite busy.

As for me... I missed out on getting a Chandler when they were more affordable.:angry017

4. Joe C

Joe C New Member

Most people want the larger ones. I prefer about a 6 or 7/8, myself. I suspect a lot of customs sit on the shelf or as displays on the 'bragging board'. I am making a lot more smaller (6/8) razors, though. I've even made a 5/8 or two, but they didn't really sell well. In addition, every maker sort of settles into a groove, since it requires more sizes of wheels for different sizes of razors, and that's not an inexpensive proposition. An 8" contact wheel with tooling arm and work rest is going to run you around $350-400, so you have to make them based on your equipment as well. I now have 4 wheels, from 4" to 10", so I'm able to make several different sizes, depending on what the customer wants.

5. Mike257

Mike257 New Member

OK I found the one I want, seriously

[​IMG]

6. Mike257

Mike257 New Member

But I also like this one too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ryrelav

ryrelav New Member

O, yes.

8. xChris

xChris Member

Wow... Somehow, I managed to miss this thread originally.

Mike257's original post links to my gallery on another forum. Both of those custom razors are mine. Both were well under $1K when I bought them, and I don't believe that they would be the same prices today.

To answer Ragnost's question, I prefer the larger and heavier blades in my collection. So, when getting customs, I wanted to get styles that I've enjoyed using more. That, and I figure if I'm paying top dollar, I'm going to get my money's worth! :D

Hey Mike, here's my latest custom -- RW 8/8 Barber Style, 1/4 hollow with burgundy micarta...

(Isaac & Blair -- Marty too -- are right!)

Attached Files:

9. ryrelav

ryrelav New Member

Wow,Wow....

10. 2Sharp

2Sharp New Member

Go ahead Mike and make an order. You know you want to.

bj

11. Compa

Compa Member

Beautiful razors O.o
    from the original post, I liked the second one better :) the style is very exotic and the way the metal looks gives it a special ... medieval look? I don't know but is certainly somethign different.
    I get the feeling of an old sword that has seen many battles, the blade is not "uuuu shiny" and that is what gives it that great look.

The last one posted is the opposite. Shiny and elegant. Something that would be used by a gentleman :D

This is the kind of collectibles people would say "YOU SPENT HOW MUCH ON THAT THING?!!" but you know it is well worth :) (still drooling).

Do you shave with this fine razors? or do u use a common one?

12. xChris

xChris Member

I use all of them. I have a healthy collection of razors ranging in age (100+ years old to only a few), size, and grind. My customs fall into rotation whenever I get the urge to use 'em. ;)

13. barbering101

barbering101 New Member

Has anyone ever seen a Sedef straight razor. Made in turkey but i cant find them out here in the U.S.

14. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

How will Damascus hold up to water ?

I may try and make some custom straight razors next ,,,,

15. Leighton

Leighton New Member

As good as HCS holds up to water.