I Can Feel the Siren Song of the Straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Smedley, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I'm getting this vintage one I picked up a long time ago honed tomorrow. Then I need to pick up a strop from Mr. Miller. Already have the Nortons.

Can't see shaving with one on anything but a weekend, though. Mornings are tight enough as it is with DE shaving.

If it's enjoyable, I keep doing it. If not, there's a used strop and some Norton stones up for sale. Everyone wins! ::

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Let us know how it goes, David.

Lots of great people with straight razor experience around here. I'm sure they will be willing to offer help and advice.

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

That's the spirit, buddy!

I'm sure you will do well :D

4. xChris

xChris Member

Where you getting it honed at?

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

all the best for entering the world of straights! ::

Oh, and always keep that box of band-aids and some super-glue near the sink :D - only kiddin' ;)

6. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Straights are addictive. I went from curious about one to owning 14 of them in less than a few months. I probably shave with one 80% of the time now. I would suggest you try shaving in the evening for a short time so you can take the time to learn how to do it. If you only use it on the weekend it's harder to develop a sense of technique and you're more likely to accidentally remove some flesh.

7. Smedley

Smedley New Member

"Toxik" from SRP. He's local and knows his stuff, from what I can tell.

Yeah, who needs grocery money? :D Shaving in the evenings isn't a bad thought, there's usually something grown in by that time, and you're right, the regular practice would be more beneficial.

8. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Ditto. I thought it would be a big time sink, but now it doesn't take me much longer than using a DE did. I use a straight most mornings, and have only resorted to my DE a few times in the past coupla months.

(And I have only managed to pick up about eight or nine so far, not fourteen! :D )

9. C utz

C utz New Member

The evening shaving is also good if you are learning, and/or the edge is not there and you give yourself a razor burn :ashamed001

That should heal up by morning!

(Proaso and Burtsbee balms work well on the suspected razor burn shaves!)

C utz

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Have both of the Burt's hand balms. Work nicely for healing hands. Have to wait a little to absorb before bedtime.

11. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

I was beginning to worry that you'd pick an ebay special, then try to put an edge on a ratty blade and decide to toss everything to the wayside because it didn't work for you.

... until you mentioned Jason. I have seen his work. Snag a razor with his scales on it before he realizes he can get more for them. He does really good work. Having a tutor standing by for any kind of new interest helps the learning curve greatly. You can read all day long and struggle with the concepts, but having someone show you can have you going in a real short time.

12. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I have two straights currently, a vintage "Sheffield Steel" blade from a long gone Canadian company, and a Dubl Duck that needs some restoration to get rid of some black spots/surface corrosion on the blade. My plan was to get Jason to do the Canadian one (which is in really good shape for an ancient piece of metal), and then use that as a reference for the Dubl Duck when I get it cleaned up for my own honing efforts.

Of course, when you mention picking up a razor while I'm there... :drool :rofl

Not going to presume on Jason's time, but if he wants to pass along a few pointers while I'm delivering/picking up, I'll be listening with both ears!