London, a city for wet shavers

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by cop, Mar 17, 2009.

1. cop

cop New Member

Hello gents!
    I'm back in Copenhagen after a week in swingin' London. Swinging through the air was in fact straights in the hands of barbers in some of the shops I visited. A couple of them sell shaving equipment on the ground floor and behind a curtain or in the basement there is a couple of barber chairs, where daring customers can flash their trustful adams apples to the man and his knife. I preferred to make the nicks myself and save the money for a new brush, some soaps, creams, and other stuff.

Except one, all the shops I visited is located within the same area in London, called St. James's which is close to Picadilly Circus. It is in the city's West End and bordered to the north by Oxford Street and to the east by Regent Street.

You can buy the same things online - and maybe cheaper. So what is this about?

It's all about style and atmosphere
    It's all about atmosphere! About huge selections of shaving necessities beautifully displayed in old, old cupboards, vitrines, shelves, drawers. Old, brown shop furniture lighted by heavy lamps hanging from the ceiling and extremely experienced staff behind the counters. I must admit that I felt a bit akward in my jeans, hooded sweat shirt and baseball cap but despite my appearances I got the best and exclusive - and friendly - service I could expect. And all people behind the counters took their time to a friendly chat about shaving, skin care, and having a good and funny time serving a customer.

If you are in this part of London, you will find Savile Row close to the shaving shops mentioned above. A couple of dozens of tailors are located here with their exclusive shops and in no. 3 The Beatles once had their famous Apple company. No price tags on the suits in Savle Row. If you have to ask for the price, be sure that you can't afford it...

Looking for safety razors you will probably be disappointed. German Merkur is one of the few companys to still manufacture razors (and razor heads so that other companys can mount their own handles on them). But all shops have smaller amounts of razors on display and at Geo F. Trumpers I saw a large bucket of Indian Parker's right on the floor. But the amounts of different soaps, brushes, fragrances, after shaves and so on are simply incredible! Go and see for yourself!

Shaving shops I visited

Maitland's 175 Piccadilly: A small and cosy shop
    [​IMG]

Truefitt & Hill, 71 St. James's Street
    [​IMG]

Truefitt & Hill has a nice sign over the shop's facade
    [​IMG]

D. R. Harris & Co. 29 St. James's Street
    [​IMG]

D. R. Harris's shaving soaps are famous. This kind woman sold me a puck and helped me finding a coarse nail file - from Merkur of Solingen of course...
    [​IMG]

A fine display of brushes and razors at D. R. Harris:
    [​IMG]

Ol' skul drawers at D. R. Harris
    [​IMG]

Taylor of Old Bond Street, 74 Jermyn Street - a heaven of shaving brushes
    [​IMG]

Geo. F. Trumper, 20 Jermyn Street with some member of The Shave Den trying to spoil the photo...
    [​IMG]

Mostly for women...
    Floris on 89 Jermyn Street is a bit different. Absolutely a very old and nice perfume shop with its own series of scents for men. Primarly though I would call it a woman's shop - for the women this mus be the dream of perfume heaven. Floris has made a small exhibition of the shop's history with old photos and things in a big glass cupboard. Definitely worth a visit just to see a perfume shop anno dazumal.

Modern and for Americans
    In Notting Hill you will find a contemporary, and very fine, shaving shop called Carter and Bond on 83 Westbourne Park Road. Definitely worth a visit.

And for the many Americans in this forum who may miss some americana in London you will find about ten Crabtree & Evelyn shops in London. This photo is taken in the former vegetable market Covent Garden:
    [​IMG]

Among other things I bought a new brush at Truefitt & Hill. Two barbers in the back of the shop were too busy shaving to help me. But a quick phone call while I waited in an 75 years old leather comfy chair and this kind gentleman showed up and advised and helped me finding this medium sized super badger in faux horn:
    [​IMG]

And this is how they wrap a brush when you buy it at Truefitt & Hill:
    [​IMG]

Well, gents! I recommend the english capital if you like to go shave-shopping and don't mind stropping the credit card in a matter that makes it glow in the dark.
    Regards,
    cop

2. omegapd

omegapd New Member

GREAT PICS! Thanks for sharing

3. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Yeah! That's awesome. Thanks for those pics. A member over on B&B posted some pics of his trip to the GFT store in London some time ago. Very nice. I'm reallllllly jealous. Glad you scored some sweet swag. I've gotta get over there someday. Thanks again. Those are great.

4. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Wow, I'm down in London next month. I'm going to have to start saving up! :D

5. MattPadgett

MattPadgett New Member

I want to be there. I bet you spent a fortune!

6. ctakim

ctakim Member

I made this same tour a while back although I missed the T&H shop. Guess I have a reason to go back!

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Beautiful photos! :)

8. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I wish Washington, DC had some of those stores.

9. Occams Razor

Occams Razor Member

Fantastic photography ! I'm a noob and now I'm drooling over these pictures. I will not spend any money,I will not spend any money,I will not spend any money,oh crap yes I will who am I kiddimg ! If I had any will power at all,it is now gone.......

John

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Many times I was in London, and I should say I am embarrassed that I did not know about Erasmic cream and soap, as well as Ingram. :ashamed001

11. wklmmmm

wklmmmm New Member

why not here?

anything even close to just 1 of those stores in mich?

12. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Personnaly I had to set limits, John. I fell for the super speed early on and now I have one of each super speed model and can not justify going any further. So find the model of razor you like best and stay with it. Honestly if I could have only one razor for the rest of my days it would be my late 40s super speed or my stainless steel dovo.

13. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Great photos cop! Thank you for sharing! I'm drooling now!

14. cop

cop New Member

>Crackstar, Bronco, et. al: Thanks!
    Kind regards
    cop

15. jbone

jbone Member

Nice write up. I wish we had stores like that around me.

16. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

My wife wanted us to go on a holiday to London and other parts of Europe. I always try to find excuses to put it off until we are 'older'. Who would want to go to a place that is cold, expensive, and sells warm beer. But now I have a good reason to go to London.
    My credit card doesn't like the idea.

17. Fairway Ray

Fairway Ray New Member

Thanks for sharing! Those pictures are closest I will ever get to those shops in London.:(

18. saltypete

saltypete New Member

I'm planning a trip to the UK when I graduate from university. I have a cousin who lives in London and frequents St James for his shopping, he says that it is a gentleman's paradise. He buys his shaving gear from GFT, his cologne from Penhaligons, has his shirts made at a tailor nearby and buys his cigars at JJ Fox He is a posh git, but he has promised to show me around and treat me to lunch at the Carlton Club. I would absolutely love the experience of seeing how the other half live.

Pete