Polishing Gold Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Typically, this is a no-no of epic proportions, but in the case I am about to show you, it was warranted for the sake of my sanity. I just took delivery of a beautiful 1930's gold plated British Popular only to discover that some nasty dark spots were marring the silo doors. Initially I thought it was plating damage, but upon close inspection, I could see that it was just some sort of surface staining. To get this out, I very carefully (and lightly) worked those splotches with a Q-Tip and some Flitz liquid polish. I prefer a liquid polish in this case because it just seems as if it doesn't bite into the metal as aggressively as a paste polish like MAAS does. Anyway, I worked it gently and carefully until I removed the stains as best I could. It may not be perfect, but it is a hell of a lot better.

No gold was harmed in the making of this post. :)

Before
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I have used Flitz on gold razors with good results as well. I only use a smidgen, yes I said smidgen, and it seems to a great job.

Nice looking razor Rick.

3. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Flitz also does a great job of polishing spend brass before reloading.

4. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

I recently bought an old gold razor from ebay. It said it was gold, but I suspect it is actually brass. Anyway, I cleaned it up with just a toothbrush and soapy water. It cleaned up good enought for my standards.

5. ctakim

ctakim Member

This is helpful and the razor now looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

6. OneRand

OneRand New Member

Good work, I recently polished up my open comb aristocrat with Blue Magic, which is my polish of choice.

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

That's an impressive restoration Rick! I've always been shy of gold. Thanks for the tips.

8. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

Nice work! You really made it look good. :happy088

FWIW: about that Blue Magic OneRand mentioned above- it claims to be 100% abrasive-free. I keep meaning to buy it but can't seem to remember when I'm at the store.:o Might take a little more work, but some use it for razors & love it. It comes in cream or liquid, tube, tub, or plastic bottle, & is usually available at auto parts stores, Ace and True Value hardware stores. It should remove much of the worry when polishing nice old razors, & betcha a 7-oz tub or bottle would last for *many* razors. Maybe hundreds!;)

9. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I may have to try that out! Nice tip, Rick! :happy088

10. Lopyswine

Lopyswine New Member

I just bought an old gold tech. I will try this.