Three Excellent Shave-Related Commercials.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by boyextraordinare, Mar 25, 2009.

1. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

They don't pump them out as nicely as they used to, gentlemen!

My top three favorites - in no particular order.

This is why my GF uses Blue IIs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQduVuYYDFM&NR=1

Big-budget, theatrical & what a song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgdnJM13bE8&NR=1

The origin of my the quote in my signature (based on a commercial I can no longer find on YouTube; the other take is still available but it's a joke juxtaposed against the "Fan Letter" one. But who cares? - this homebrew is so hypnotic Noxzema should buy it): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9SUr90vJIU&feature=related

II.

The old Super-Speed baseball player commercials are very lame and reminiscent of the Tiger Woods/Roger Federer nonsense of today.

III.

So I must ask you boys:

"ARE YOU READY - TO GET CLOSER?????????!!!"

2. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

3. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

That 1989 AtraPlus commercial - I have that razor! I have had it for ages and thought it was an early vintage Atra (late 70's) Then I dated it just the other day and it was an O-1. That is like 1995. Boooo. How vintage is that? But, now I have seen the commercial and it brings back at least a bit of the cool!

4. MK-ULTRA

MK-ULTRA New Member

Thank you for the memories!

If I remember correctly, the chess game in the Hai-Karate Gamesman ad is based on the chess game in the original Thomas Crown Affair with Faye Dunway and Steve McQueen.

5. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

You remember correctly!

6. pablo_h

pablo_h New Member

I remember that ad as well. The handle looked familiar as I thought my first razor was one of them. But mine is a J4 contour and I have no idea why I still have it :o
    Were they called atra in the USA and Contour elsewhere? Gillette refers to them as the "atra/contour"

7. boyextraordinare

That razor looks damn gorgeous.

How was it? Never seen the handle before, just the carts.

Heavy, hefty?

Seems robust to the eye. I don't know why Gillette's made its razors so ugly of late...

Everything up to the Mach 3 remixes looked very nice. Sensor was very flimsy and light, but still nice looking.

But that Atra...wow.

Gillette has deteriorated so badly - its commercials are just silly now, and the Fusion is so sad.

All they can think of is add new colors to it. CMON!

8. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

It is a nice handle. I wish I had a decent camera I would post some pics.

But, it is not heavy. It is a hollow tube of aluminum with a cap on one end and the head pushed into the other. It feels solid though and there isn't a stitch of plastic on it (except maybe the push knob for attaching the cartridge).

There is a great paint job on it too. I think (biasedly) that it is the best looking cartridge handle I have seen. It is a really snappy design of clean lines and such and the paint holds very well. Mine saw a lot of use before my DE conversion and it still looks brand new. It is so much nicer than plastic. (The gentleman that I am, I gave my wife the plastic one I had! :ashamed001)

It wouldn't cost the buggers much to offer a nicely designed and crafted aluminum handle again - but I guess everybody wants their razors to look like motorcycles or whatever the heck it is they look like these days.

Those AS commercials are great! Triggering those old brain cells a little too.

9. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

My favorite Atra handle was the one Gillette put out in the mid 80's- the faux-wooden checkered grip. It was still cheap plastic, but it looked very nice. I can't find a pic of one online, but here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em9k1igbaBU

That's the one I remember seeing in everyone's homes when I was a kid.

Re: the Atra, I just don't like the damned thing. It was basically just a Trac II with a pivoting head. I personally think the Sensor was a major improvement. If the blades were cheaper, it would probably be my everyday razor. Once I get done collecting all the different Trac II's I can find, that is. :D

10. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

Oh, and Kaveh: here's the original version of your Noxzema commercial-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNtddMTxmLw

A nice Injector and the David Rose Orchestra playing in the background. Now that's 60's pimpalicious, right there.

11. boyextraordinare

Sensor's hands down the best cart. razor put out - gives you everything you need and nothing you don't.

The handle is very light, though.

Sensor/Personna Sensor head on a good handle would make for an excellent daily shaver, if one were to go the cart route.

I personally like DE and disposables.

12. pablo_h

pablo_h New Member

Yeah the contour isn't a great razor, it just offered the pivoting head. But if some people like the trac II, what's wrong with a pivoting head trac II.
    It means we can now apply heaps of pressure and not worry about the angle, that's a major bonus!

I was just remarking that I remember that ad, and the ad obviously worked and got me into gillettes.
    That ad is dated 1989, and my razor was a J4 (1989) :D

Before 1989 I used disposibles, because that's what my dad used.

13. boyextraordinare

No, no, Clubman. That's the boring take - an easy find. The other one is significantly better.

Starts with the girl reading a fan letter, then segues into a much better shave sequence.

14. xChris

xChris Member

15. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

I remember those Noxzema ads from the first time around! They were broadcast while I was in high school. Between the Noxzema gal(Take it off...take it all off; music track was "The Stripper") and the English Leather gal(All my men wear English Leather- or they wear nothing at all)- well, you can imagine what went through our teenage hormone-addled minds!:D