EKS Razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Quest, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Quest

Quest New Member

I picked up this razor today and I cant find any info on it does anyone know about this razor? This is my first i got it for a song and now i need some info on the thing. It says Germany on the tang.Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Quest

Quest New Member

Solingen, Germany Straight Razor, Made from ... Ellison & Co.'s Best Sheffield Silver Steel

Found this out on it.

3. JimR

JimR Active Member

I know nothing about it, but it's a very nice looking blade. Kind of elegant...

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

sorry, never heard of the company before :(

5. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I've seen one of those before, but don't have any clue about the company. There was nothing at the Uniclectica site. There are some printed guides you can try, so maybe check the local library. Better yet, stump the reference person and call the library and ask them to find out something about it for you! :D

6. Blade

Blade Member

Hi - EKS is a trademark of Ewald Kron, active between 1919 - 1922 at 32 Katternbergerstrasse, Solingen. Also used a crown bracketed between the words 'Gold Krone'. I've seen several, all have been good razors.

7. Quest

Quest New Member

Thanks for the great info:happy096:

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Nice razor! :)

9. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Way to go, Blade!

10. Blade

Blade Member

Well I do try to please!

11. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

I just found one myself and bought it because it looked interesting, even though I don't like thin blades. Mine is a gold sword EKS, but mine has a crown on top of the EKS. And on the other side of the tang it has Turul Budapest.

12. Quest

Quest New Member

Post pics I want to see :D

13. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

me too!

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

me also, please.

15. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

Here are some photos of my EKS.
    I hope they show the details well.

Attached Files:

16. Quest

Quest New Member

Cool I wonder what is the differance between the crown and not the crown on the razors? Very nice like the design on the spine

17. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist New Member

Beautiful Spine, somehow like the Globusmen Camel Riders. i like it

18. Blade

Blade Member

Hi - as far as I know the 'Krone' was a play on words from the maker's name 'Kron' - 'Gold Krone' being of course 'gold crown' in German. Your razor is certainly a made-for piece for the Budapest retailer who perhaps - for reasons we can only wonder about - preferred 'Gold Crown'. Or Maybe Kron had changed it to that for non-German-speaking countries. Part of the fascination of these old razors!