Merkur 38C

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by boyextraordinare, Apr 1, 2009.

1. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

I've been interested in getting this razor recently, but have some questions:

-Does it have the same head as the HD and Long-Handle Classic?

-How heavy is it?

-Is it significantly heavier than the HD?

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Oyyyyyyyyy, my brother-in-law had one, and he lost it. I can shoot him in the head for that. :mad:

3. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I haven't owned the 38c but but I had a 39c which is the same but with the slant head. It was a lot heavier than my HD and a little tricky, I never did get used to it. I am not positive but I think the heads are the same.

4. crackstar

I found it to be a good razor, although a bit aggressive. It still made for me good shaves.

5. lferg

lferg New Member

Same head but the handle makes it balance differently. I am use to the HD and the shave with the 38C was a bit tricky to get use to. I ended up shelving it and sold it.

6. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I love my 38C, as everyone has said, the heads are very much the same, it's the handle that's different. It's heavier and longer, and the balance is different, but gives a great shave. It suits my hands just right

7. crackstar

Yes, for sure, it is an excellent razor. :)

8. boyextraordinare

I like the LH Classic a good deal, love the head on it, love the handle length, find it a bit top-heavy but not terribly so.

I like the HD better for its weight and balance, and now that I've gotten the Super Adj., I'm starting to go for heavier razors.

Consequently the 38C seems like the best choice for a next razor: long handle, very heavy. In all reality I don't need it but for reason I want it.

9. cop

cop New Member

"I like the HD better for its weight and balance," your wrote. If that's your taste I think you will enjoy the 38C - maybe even more than the HD. The 38C is less top heavy in my opinion as the handle is longer and heavier - the balance is very fine - better than the HD I think - though it is a hefty razor. But hefty in the very best sense of the word. The hefty feeling in your hand is just wonderful. I like my 38C very much.
    The weight is 112 grammes.
    Good luck
    cop

10. boyextraordinare

Cop, do you have the weight of your HD? I had a food scale at one point and recall the LH being about 2.5 oz. and the HD 3. That's a very rough estimate.

Anyone know their respective weights w/ greater accuracy, the HD v.s, the 38C?

I wish I could hold one of these - hate ordering online! - but I think it's worth it. :D

11. Corey

Corey Member

Take with a grain of salt perhaps, but the Fendrihan site lists the 38C as 4.25oz/120grams and the HD 34C as 2.4oz/68grams.

12. cop

cop New Member

Sure, my 34C weighs in at exactly 78 grammes.
    Don't be afraid of buying the 38C - you will be gladly surprised!
    Regards
    cop

13. boyextraordinare

Wow - I have to try it.

Is it the heaviest DE of all time?