squashed badger brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by npinn001, Apr 2, 2009.

1. npinn001

npinn001 New Member

I have a brush which arrived the other day, but the pre-bloom knot appears oval rather than round, is this from the postage, the knot itself or is this normal, and i should shut up!

Cheers

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Got a picture?

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Pictures help. Could just be from laying on its side. Most likely no big deal.

4. npinn001

npinn001 New Member

[​IMG]

Cheers

5. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Looks like it got that way from shipping. The first few uses should make it approach the typical "round" look I would think. I don't think it'll be a permanent thing.

6. npinn001

npinn001 New Member

Nice one, cheers guys. Also Baloosh, do let me know when your MWF arrives!

7. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Will do bro. :1respect

8. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Nothing a few soaks in hot water pre-shave won't cure. ;)

9. npinn001

npinn001 New Member

nice one i shall just get on with using it then!

10. Adeptus_Minor

Oh!
    One important note...
    It seems to be the general consensus that the soak water should not be boiling.
    Repeated soaks in boiling hot water can loosen the knot in some brushes.
    Your hottest tap water is usually safe and plenty hot.

11. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

I suspect the advice above is right on, and a few hot tap water soaks will make it "round out" nicely. I went through something similar about 6 weeks ago. I got a nice old EverReady pure badger brush that came in a small wooden case(homemade?), with a socket for the brush to stand up in, another for a DE razor, even had an Old Spice shaving mug- with soap. The brush was perfectly flat on top, with what looked like a straight taper angling down from the flat top. I even asked the seller if they might have trimmed the knot on the brush- nope, sold as found. After just a couple of soaks the badger hair returned to its normal nice rounded shape. :eek:The brush was a little too tall for the interior of the box, and a few decades of the top being mashed down had left it looking perfectly flat. But it doesn't show at all now.:D

12. npinn001

npinn001 New Member

Phew! Thanks for the advice. I dont think i would dare involve boiling water with my shave anywhere....if i use water thats too hot it gives me a bad shave, tap warm is gooooooood!

13. Adeptus_Minor

Some people do use a kettle to boil water for their scuttle, allowing it to retain heat longer and all that.
    But a stoneware scuttle is going to handle that a lot better than plastic or your skin. :happy102

14. npinn001

npinn001 New Member

True,

I was shaving the other day, after having had a new boiler put in. Previously, i just left the hot top on slightly and ran the razor under it before each pass.

I had just bought a couple of rounds of musgo lime soap for pre shave, and used that for the first time.

I left the tap running, and had the most irritating shave of my life. It really set me back, and i thought it was the soap. But after a bit of experimenting, i found that the soap really helps soften the hairs, and that the water was getting too hot, heating the razor, and caning my skin! Ouch!

So modified that technique a bit!

Oh and that musgo soap, i really like it. I wanted a wash for in the shower, and the nickel scrub i had i could only use once a week, so this is perfect, unless anyone else has any good suggestions?