Mergress & Super Speed ~ Mini Review / Comparison

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Pureslab, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

I'm still a newbie and going thru as much gear and kit as possible trying to attain the WORLDS BEST SHAVE , so in that process I have found these (my only 2 razors so far) to work best with these combination's.

My grail piece "The Mergress" - spent some of my tax refund on what seemed would be the best of the higher end razors for daily use

It is a fantastic piece of workmanship for sure - did not try a progress and not sure if the custom end piece on the Mergress is really needed as the razor is heavy enough as it is. But it does look much classier than a cheap plastic end cap.

I used a series of blades and found Derby's work the best for me with this razor - I have it cranked all the way down and probably will never need to adjust the setting

Don't think adjustable razors are for me

Have a Merkur Long Handle on the way - so if that works better for me this will be put up on the sales forum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My first DE is razor is still probably my favorite - an old Gillette Super Speed

Very basic - very classic - very functional

Loads blades like a dream and shaves perfectly with just about any blade I try , although I get the closest shaves with a Ninja sharp feather...

Some pics are showing the blade gap differences between the two razors.

Very different blade edge positioning is needed when shaving with these , the Super Speed as many of you know if very forgiving - the Mergress was probably a vampire in a prior life.....

Attached Files:

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Now get a SE razor

VIVA LA REVOLUTION...:D

3. I love my Mergress.

I started shaving with straights, so I got rid of all my DE's except for the Mergress and a Gillette Tech.
    I get great shaves with it. I really enjoy it.

4. xChris

xChris Member

I have a Progress with one of Cooncatbob's brass replacement knobs. The aftermarket knobs do add a bit more to the appearance of the Progress than the stock one does.

I'd have to say that the Progress is my go to DE when I use one. For me, IPs are the best blade in it -- dialled to somewhere between 2.5 & 4.

5. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

Any pics of your modified Progress ?

For the fans :D

6. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

I share the opinion that the plastic knob looks really out of place on the otherwise beautiful piece of engineering that is the Progress.
    I already own a Fatboy and a Slim so I haven't seen much need in another adjustable, but if I were going to buy, it'd be a Mergress. ;)
    That being said, I've heard arguments for and against adjustables for those just starting DE shaving.
    Personally, I'm glad I waited to try the Fatboy.

7. xChris

xChris Member

Here ya go...

• fluted
    • red & black enamel markers

Attached Files:

8. houlejames

houlejames Member

How do you get a hold of cooncatbob to get the brass end? Do you have to send the razor to him or can I install it myself. Also how much is it? Thanks Jim

9. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

wow , suprised to see this old thread come back to life

I can see the major differences in the knobs now after perfecting my own custom made stainless pieces

Attached Files:

10. SilverB

SilverB New Member

I actually like the plastic piece on my Progress. I don't know why exactly, but I think its kind of the "signature" of the Progress, atleast thats how I see it.
    I have the long handle and its heavy enough as mentioned. Its my favorite out of all of the Merkur adjustables.
    But I must admit, these custom knobs look very nice.

11. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

Customizing a razor is fun :D

And the end knobs do add a nice amount of weight to the razor that many feel balances out the head nicely

Attached Files:

12. Corey

Corey Member

Replacement knobs are nice, but why stop there? Have you given thought to producing a replacement handle as well?

[​IMG]

Replacement knob and Bull Mastiff handle, courtesy of cooncatbob. It is,without a doubt, my absolute favorite razor. The balance is spot on, the feel is perfect, and it looks so much more incredible in person than I could possibly hope to capture in pictures.

13. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

Cut the head off a Merkur and glue it onto a brass plated sleeve ?

What you pay for that ?

14. rainman

rainman New Member

I have the Long handled Progress with the Purselab stainless numbered knob. Very good razor. I use it on 5 and it works great. The grip doesn't bother me. My current rotation is just between this Progress and a Futur on 6.5, which grip also doesn't bother me. I use a Gillette Single Ring for my head shaves.

15. riffin

riffin Active Member

The head is friction fit into the top of the handle. Removing it is no "worse" the removing the knob. If the replacement handle is well made, improves grip handling and balance, why NOT pay for it. Speaking from experience, Bob does fantastic work.

UPDATE: Sorry! I mis-read your question. I thought you asked WHY would you pay for that. Please except my apology...

16. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

I'm thinking now of offering a "Progress Conversion Kit" with a stainless steel knurled sleeve and stainless end knob.

The sleeve would slide over the existing handle with the end knob number engraved ...

Just an idea at this point :cool:

But why not take it a step further ? - A Long Handle Progess Conversion Kit

17. xChris

xChris Member

cooncatbob is a member here on TSD.

Here's his website, where you can see more of his work.

18. houlejames

houlejames Member

Thanks xChris. I got on the site and received the information that I needed. Jim