Curious about 100 year old safety razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by harlekin, Apr 14, 2009.

1. harlekin

harlekin New Member

Since I've started with wet-shaving, I have been certain that I would pick up at least a light case of RAD. One of my first goals is a fun one. I want to shave with a 100 year old razor. (Discussion of this with my family over Easter led to some good laughs about 100 year old razor blades.)

How hard is it to find a pre-1910 Gillette and what sort of price range should I expect for one in good usable, but not necessarily perfect, condition?

I gather that the old models are a little on the aggressive side. I am shaving with a 60's model Gillette at the moment, so I've only used razors with the safety bar. The open comb looks like a much better design to me, as the bar removes an awful lot of my lather before the blade ever reaches my whiskers.

Any other pointers or suggestions on this subject?

2. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Don't know the answer to the cost of the razor that you are looking for would be. Mr-razor.com has a lot of photos to show you of the razors that you are looking for. It seems in general you are looking for three piece, mostly open comb designs. I am going to attach a photo to show you what you are looking for. This one is a 1907 so it easily gets under your limit. See the pins coming through the top piece? In those days the pin tended to be a bit longer than the later models were. I have no idea about how hard or easy it is to find these things.

Attached Files:

3. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

You should be able to fairly easily find a 1909 or older single ring (like pictured above) in user grade condition for under $50. Note that I said user grade. This could mean that the original gold or silver plate may be mostly worn away, but they can still look nice as brass really polishes up nicely.

4. harlekin

harlekin New Member

Thanks for the guidance. So a pre-1910 razor is a bit more valuable than I would have guessed, but I suppose that shouldn't be terribly surprising. They seem to be significantly less common than the superspeeds and other popular (newer) models. I'm guessing a really early double ring would be worth a pretty penny.

I'll have to keep an eye out. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and find one for a song around here. I just needed to know how to tell if I'm being fleeced or making out like a bandit. :)

5. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Double rings with case, blade banks and instruction booklet will go anywhere from $200-$600 based upon condition and a few other factors. Non-cased double rings should bring over the $50 figure. That said, a lucky person could run across any pre-1910 for well under that $50. But, I wouldn't count on it.

But, I really do think a user grade single ring could be found for more like the $35-$40 range from the right person.

6. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Finding one a little less than 100 years old might be helpful too if you're willing to budge.. I found this 1917 - 18 Single ring for $11 and change.
    Good luck on your hunt and let us know what you find!

Attached Files:

7. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i have a 1908 gillette single ring id be happy to sell you. PM me if youd be interested.

8. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

As I said, you just have to find the right person! ;)

9. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

You want to double your money, Scott?

:D

10. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Ha.. I've been asked that several times now! ;)

11. harlekin

harlekin New Member

Wow Scott, that is a beautiful razor. Seeing a great old razor in a case like that isn't helping me hold back the RAD. :)

12. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Good luck on your search, Chad.
    A double or single ring is on my list too, but I never seem to find one within what I'm willing to pay.
    Then again, I'm not searching that hard... hence I haven't posted a WTB in the trade forum. ;)

13. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

I'll keep an eye out for you Chad and if something pops up.. I'll shoot you a PM. Good luck!

14. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I have surveyed my sources of market places and I am not comming up with anyone to sell you a razor that old. The best I can do is a 1920 razor. So D Irving may be the best bet to get a hold of a razor that meets your specifications.

15. knlgskr

knlgskr Member

Guido,

I have a Single Ring 1904 pat. date in silver S/N A 519185 I would be willing to sell but I do not want to step on/over Dave. If I PM you would you be willing to put a price on it?

Thank you,

Richard

16. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I would seriously consider taking one of these gentlemen up on their offers as long as they don't want too mcuh for the razor.

17. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Here's my [slash]1906 Single Ring[/slash] 1920 Big Fellow that I received as a gift on Sunday. A family friend found her at an estate sale. She was extremely tarnished, but I think she cleaned up beautifully! I shaved with her this morning, and had a great shave. I had just commented in the HYD thread how cool it was shaving with something 103 years old.... EDIT: and apparently I was mistaken how cool that was becuase I shaved with something only 89 years old... These will be more aggressive than you're used to, but as long as you're aware of that and keep it in check, you'll be fine. One thing to keep in mind, when loading the blade, it may be a little bit loose, meaning sloppy, until you tighten it down. Make sure the blade is straight and even on both sides before you tighten it down fully. Enjoy the eye candy! :D And, NO, she's NOT for sale!! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. tom myers

tom myers Member

100 Year Old razors

If you want to shave with a 100+ year old razor, you don't need to be necessarily looking for a Gillette. If you want the best possible shave from your 100 year old razor, that razor likely ought to be a single edge Gem Jr. bar razor from circa 1906 or so.

I'm not putting down the old Gillettes. I have several of them myself, but the razor I go to almost every morning is the old Gem Jr. For my money and for my face and beard, nothing better has been designed since that razor was originally patented at the turn of the last century. :)

Regards,
    Tom

19. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Great score but that's not a single ring. It's a Big Fellow from 1920... and a very nice one at that!

20. Truckman

Truckman New Member

according to the S/N M582467 stamped on the head, it placed it at 1906....:confused: I tell you, the handle is huge, though....maybe I read something wrong? Does the 'M' in the S/N make the difference?

EDIT: hehe...well, wouldn't ya know it? Achim's site has my exact razor....listed as a 1920 Big Fellow...color me embarassed...I guess the letter 'M' does make a difference! :ashamed001