Coffee Mug

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Fairway Ray, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Fairway Ray

Fairway Ray New Member

As a new DE shaver, I busy buying all of the toys... I mean essentials for the art of a great shave. The bowl that came with my Tabac is kind of shallow for the soap. I have a nice gift mug sitting on my desk. Its nice and big and the soap fits in it no problem. Am I committing some sort of shaving "sin" by using my mug instead of shelling out for a shaving mug? The shaving mugs/bowls I have seen online start at about 15.00. I see comparable items in stores ranging in price from a buck and up. I think it is a cool way to save money and use it for a nice brush.

2. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

I like the soup mugs with straight (or nearly straight) sides that I can find at Shopko, Walmart and Target. They're cheap (under $4, usually) and are perfect for soaps. I have a large one that I use as a lather bowl and a couple smaller ones for soaps. I like to mill my soaps into them. Inexpensive is a good thing...

3. omegapd

omegapd New Member

I think every one of us has a dollar store coffee mug as a shave mug somewhere...

4. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

And don't forget the thift shops. I live in a college town, so sometime in early summer there will be a wealth of not very used soup/coffee mugs on the shelf there.

5. kevtex

kevtex Member

I don't believe a shaving mug will create lather any better than an ordinary coffee or soup mug so go ahead and spend that money you saved on soaps,creams and aftershave.:happy093

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I use a John Deere mug for some of my soaps.. enjoy.

7. Moe

Moe Active Member

I was using soap and a brush long before I started using a DE razor. I was just using VDH soap and brush in a coffee mug, I did that for ~ 10 years and it worked just fine.

Of course, i've recently has my eyes opened,,,,,,,, about the same time, my wallet started getting lighter :rolleyes: .

The coffee mug should work just fine.

-Moe

8. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I have a sugar bowl with a lid for my C&E soap 2.84 from walmart, a 25 cent thrift shop bowl for lathering creams in, and a 75 cent tea mug with a lid from the thrift store for anything else. The rest of the shave mug money I spent on razor blades and stuff. Ooopppssieee

9. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Me too. ;) It works great...

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yea but you will soon have a genuine burma shave mug :D

11. MsBlackwolf

Looks pretty on the vanity too ;)

12. MsBlackwolf

I needed somewhere to put my puck of William's.

13. lferg

lferg New Member

Tabac bowls are perfect. You don't need a mug for Tabac, It's the easiest face lathering soap ever..... If you aren't using the Tabac bowl, I'll take it.

14. Fairway Ray

Fairway Ray New Member

Thanks for all of the replies. I see I am not alone. :D

15. Fairway Ray

Fairway Ray New Member

Iferg, remember I'm just a newbie and my mind changes like the breeze. So I will keep the bowl for now thanks.

16. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

17. cop

cop New Member

Finding good and cheap shaving mugs is great fun. The price of this English soup cup was $1.6 on a flea market. With a gold edge...
    [​IMG]
    Good luck
    cop

18. Fairway Ray

Fairway Ray New Member

Cop, cool cup. :D

19. brianjcohen

brianjcohen New Member

Mine is a little 4" square plastic dish from Target, I have no idea what it's really supposed to be used for but it only cost like $2 :)

20. erictski

erictski Member

Do you plan to build the lather right on top of the soap?

Because if you dont then just use the tabac dish to hold the soap when you load the brush then move on to your mug and build the lather there