Turbo Tuners

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by JayKay, Apr 22, 2009.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Anybody out there with car with a stock turbo? Anybody chipped it? You can get a lot of HP and TQ with just a little PSI increase from a chip. So anybody out there done it?

I'm curious about longevity issues of the turbos and motor at a relatively small increase in PSI (3psi?). My car hasn't been around for too long and the good chips out now, even less time. I dont want to kill my car though.

2. Peders

Peders Member

It's quite common here in sweden. I don't know how it works out in USA but over here the warranty is not valid if you make such changes. You won't kill your car, absolutely not. If you do not plan to play streetracer each day with it it will last you as long as it should have without the chip.

3. JayKay

Chipping voids the warrenty here in the US too. Its a piggy back chip that plugs into the TMAP harness and passes through. I know that adding boost will reduce the life of my motor. I plan on staying with stock diverter valves, down pipes, and intercooler. I know this increases turbo wear more than if I did change them. I basically need a reason not to drop the money on it right now.

4. Peders

Peders Member

Hehe okay. You just got yourself a few reasons :p I guess gasoline isn't the cheapest thing over there either...

5. JayKay

Nope. A little above $2 for 93, which is the lowest I can run. I usually go for super though which can get up to around 97 if you go to the right place. Or 100+ race gas, but that stuff is damn expensive.

6. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Mercedes 300D turbo.

It's a 5 cylinder diesel with a life expectancy of 750,000 miles. Definitely not a racer though. :D

7. Spk282

Spk282 New Member

*Note that putting too high of an octane gas into your car can be bad*
    I have known quite a few people that have chipped their diesel trucks and they haven't had any real issue's yet. If you are only looking at boosting it up by 3 psi you won't get much of a gain that you couldn't get from replacing the stock exhaust and small performance mods. Always make sure when you stop and go to turn off your car that is turbo'd (stock or not) let the car set for 2 minutes or so running to let oil get into the turbo and properly lube it for your next drive. It will increase the life of your turbo and save you a lot of money down the road, It's surprising how many people don't do this.

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

But it can run on french fries. How cool is that?! I want to buy a diesel car just so I can make biodiesel. My wife thinks I need more hobbies anyway... :rolleyes:

9. JayKay

On my car dynos are showing that at +3psi over stock average gains are between 40-50 rwhp + tq. Not bad for $130. Exaust kits are well over $1k with only a few hp gain. Intakes are showing neglidgeable gains. What I'd really love to do is drop the $1500 on a LSD kit but thats just way out of the realm of possibilities at the moment.