omg it looks new!!!!! MOTHERS to clean.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by wklmmmm, Apr 23, 2009.

1. wklmmmm

wklmmmm New Member

hello all -

recently tried and am now currently addicted to wet shaving - going on about 3 weeks now.

now i dont know if i'm ocd or addicted ir what, but i'm writing this at 1am!!!

had the brainstorm of cleaning up my de with MOTHERS!!!! dont know if i broke any rules, but i figured if i can use the stuff on my slk, then why not a razor??

just washed/soaked the 3 pieces is soap and water and toothbrushed them.
    i then applied MOTHERS STEP 1, the cleaner and rubbed it in and let it haze.
    then i removed/towel buffed everything.
    not 100% satisfied w/ the remaining tarnish, i figured what the hell - CLAY BAR time!!!!!

OH MY GOD EVEYTHING LOOKS LIKE NEW!!!!!!!!

NO SWIRLS/SCRATCHES, TARNISH - CRYSTAL CLEAR!!!!!

absolutely beautiful.

so again, dont know if i'm ocd, addicted, or just obsessed, but it worked!!

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Always nice to find something that works for you,, thanks for the info.

3. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Sounds nice. But what is MOTHERS? I've never heard of it before.

4. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Mother's makes a line of car polishes and waxes, etc.... Which Mother's product did you use? A metal cleaner, rubbing compound, wax?

Interesting thought going to the clay bar.... I may have to try that out...

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

If the razor wasnt horribly in bad condition, the top coat should be a clear coat i believe.

6. wklmmmm

wklmmmm New Member

mothers car products

mothers makes a 3 step cleaning,polishing, and wax kit;

step 1 : pre-wax cleaner
    step 2 : sealer and glaze
    step 3: carnauba wax

extra is the clay block - it comes w/ a spraycalled showtime.

the leaner removes oxidation and any swirls if someone got overzealous w/ an orbital;

just a couple of applications of stp 1 and u can watch the cream turn from white to green; let it haze up and wipe off;

my de was an antique store find - 3 piece;
    gold coated, but was 80% gone from the handle; the blade basket / holder is a deeper gold color; the glide(?) that touches the face appears tp be copper - shined up like a new penny! the flat piece is warm gold in color now;

so now i'm going to try to gold leaf the handle and then lacquer it to protect it; we'll see -

like i said - call me ocd,obsessed or addicted, but we'll see!!!!!

7. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Thanks for the info.

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Thanks for the tip. I couldn't find Maas tonight, but there was a tub of Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish - perfect for all metals. It is working very well. very shiny results

9. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I think these days with wheels becoming so highly polished and so bloody expensive, these polishes specifically for wheels are actually very good polishes for metal. Chrome wheels scuff up quick with crappy polish, so probably any of these polishes are suitable for razors.

10. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

If you are writing this at 1am then yes you are adicted.