New wet shaving wisdom

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jbcohen, Apr 23, 2009.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Has anyone learned a lesson about wet shaving in the last few months that they can share with the rest of forum members? I'll start and this will help illustrate what I am asking:

Learned the other day not to tinker with my shave ritual during the work week. I subsituted a cream for my typical soap yesturday morning and evidently I had a few kinks to work out. That was bloody and made me late to work as I was cleaning up the blood in the shave den.:eek: I will try it again but will do so this week-end.

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Yes I have. What I have learned is that the whole wet shaving experience is YMMV. What I mean by that is that no matter what blade, razor, cream, soap and or aftershave gets recommended, until you try it out yourself, don't dismiss it or claim it to be gospel.

As an example, one of the first purchases for my sons and I was a large pack of Derby blades. Read some reviews here and across the street and they seemed pretty well liked. Upon my trying them, eh I wasn't too impressed. Really didn't give me a comfortable shave and seemed to tug a lot..

Now one day I loaded one of those Derby's in a Clix razor I received in a lot buy, and it became a magical combination for me. Smooth close comfortable shave. I liked that shave so much, I picked up a couple of Clix for my sons after they tried the combo and liked them as much as me.

So YMMV, what works for you may not work for me. What doesn't work one way, may work another. Thats the fun in this hobby, finding what works and taking a boring daily task and turning into something fun.

Of course YMMV!

3. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Heres anothe one - What works for pop tends to work for son as well. Let me give an example, my pop used a great old Super Speed razor and dorco blades for thirty years. Now I am using a Super Speed of the same style, he threw his in the garbage :angry021 and I am using the same brand soap and and brush as he did and it all works great. Only way we differ is I use a different after shave.

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I learned that SEs are awesome.

5. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I learned just yeseterday not to go for a quick one pass shave with a slant. The quick shave turned into a 25 minute blood bath. Stupid mole on stupid upper lip...

Next time I'll go for a slower one pass shave when I need to get out faster.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Imagine that....:D

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I could probably just use the 1912 forever. Hmm. maybe I'll sell all my DEs.

8. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I had a blood bath like yours Wednesday morning infotech. Don't quite understand what went wrong.

9. omegapd

omegapd New Member

new razor= well known, forgiving blade. Made the mistake now of trying a new razor and using a new unknown blade for the initial shave a few times and also suffered.

Williams soap works best when water is added to the mug and let to sit a minute or so to soften it up.

Boar hair brushes work best for me and the VDH brush from Wal Mart is perfect. ;)

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I've learned that some people get very opinionated about shave products because of what works and doesn't work for them. I've also learned it doesn't matter what others think about a product I'm going to be using on my face.

11. I've learned that no matter how much stuff I collect, I will keep using the same 2 or 3 razors, the same 2 or 3 soaps and creams, the same 2 or 3 ASBs and the same 2 or 3 brushes.
    So at least for me, having more than 2 or 3 of anything is kind of a waste of space.

12. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I'm similar zen, however I tend to like to stockpile some things. Don't like to be ordering things the last minute becasue I do not have anything on hand so I tend to keep a stockpile under the sink.

13. Well, yeah. I'm at a point now where I'm just on the lookout for good deals on the stuff I use regularly. I just bought 200 Feathers for 50 bucks. I split them with a friend, but considering I mostly use straights now, the 100 I have will probably last me a good 5 years or so.

There's nothing wrong with jumping on a good deal when one rolls around.

14. Moe

Moe Active Member

And,,,,,,, I have just learned,,,, I need to open my wallet anf get busy shopping because I don't have 2 or 3 of anything,,,,,,,YET! AD is kicking in high gear!

15. Peders

Peders Member

I have.... But I still need!!

16. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

I learned long ago, always clean your razor with the blade inside it. Wait. Make it never, never clean your razor with the blade inside. I am talking that just rub the top or bottom of it clean. Nope, do not do it.

17. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

:happy102 Msb's Learned List

1- Tighten head on razor before shaving :shocked003
    2- Check blade placement in Muhle before shaving :scared001
    3- Do not slide the razor sideways :shocked002
    4- Use the opinion of others as a guide, not as gospel truth :1respect
    5- If you mess up and make a bloddy mess, keep your pants on and say nothing :D (for gentleman, keep a paper bag over your head and say nothing :D

18. Richmondesi

Richmondesi Active Member

Recently I learned that there is a soap out there that doesn't make a lather, but provides a good, fast, and comfortable shave (not for daily use IMO). That's not something that I would have believed if I didn't try it out for myself.

19. Hiya,

Well, a few months ago I went through an open comb phase. Yeah, I finally saw the visual appeal to em, and wanted to try shaving with some. I ended up trying five different ones.....all with the same mixed results. I found each to give me an extremely close shave, but none provided the comfort I like and expect. Yeah, they went from being just a little too aggressive all the way to YOW, I can barely even use this thing! Yeah, not a one of em felt like my fatboy set on #3.

Sadly, I now fully realize the razors I get the closest and most gratifying shaves from are unsuitable for my face. I even spent time trying different blades (a rabbit hole I have been down many times). Heh, I'll still use a couple from time to time......just to feel that extra closeness only an open comb has given me. Yeah, I lose a little in comfort, but those open comb razors do have their charms making em worthwhile for me.

Martin

20. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

I have learned that no matter how many razors you already have, when you see another in an antique store, you just have to have another.