Best Canned Goo?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Harry_Thabombshelter, Apr 23, 2009.

1. So in another thread I mentioned that I had to use Goo and a Mach 3 the other day and it was an incredibly unpleasant experience. I used the Mach 3 Gel, but I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on GOOD Canned Goo (or at least Goo that wasn't god awful)?

2. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Neutrogena makes a can of slop that ain't too bad. Used to get awesome shaves with that and my fusion (bzzzzzzz) - always BBS and never any irritation. Totally unremarkable and nothing to look forward to. Ah, the bad old days....

3. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

My old favorite was Colgate shaving cream. It's no longer made but old stock can still be found.

[​IMG]

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Noxzema Medicated
    Barbersol
    Aveeno

But only if you have too. :eek:

5. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

Noxzema red can("For Sensitive Skin") is excellent.;)

6. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Noxzema Red Can
    Noxzema Green Can

Never tried Aveeno, but I hear it's good; it is, however, considerably more expensive than these two creams.

Red can is barebones, is readily available and doesn't have a pleasant scent.

The Green is Lanolin-enriched, is thicker than the red and smells a lot like MWF - with a stronger kick.

The White Can is junk...

7. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Colgate was my favorite too. When it disappeared, I went with Noxzema. I think Noxzema is probably better...

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Boo the goo...:d

9. Acqua Di Parma makes a canned shaving gel that I have never tried and know nothing about and it is obscenely expensive, but I'm sure it smells great and I'll bet its better than most of what else is out there.

10. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Let's see:

Barbasol Menthol
    Foamy for Sensitive Skin (the various store brand imitations are also okay)
    Edge Gel Extra Moisturizing

I have used all these and had decent results. I prefer brush and soap + cream.

11. Thanks for all the suggestions. I suppose I'll check at Target this weekend and see what they've got :-p I hate using it, but sometimes it's necessary (I'm still in the 20 minute shave territory) when I don't have to time for a proper shave in the morning.

12. boyextraordinare

Noxzema no question!

Green is best, red second, while the white's worthless.

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

For me, NONE from them, except perhaps, perhaps from the US, Colgate Aloe. The smell is nice, anyways.......Barbasol, is not worthy to be used on my dog.

14. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I had to revert back to the canned stuff for a month back in '05 when I was detailed to New Orleans for Katrina emergency response efforts. A very bland, uncomfortable and all together forgettable experience. I'm sitting here trying to remember what I used, and I can't recall. Gillette something or another I'm guessing. I have a travel brush and enough compact tubes of cream now that if it ever happens to me again, I'll be ready for decent "road-shaves".

As an aside I saw a guy lathering himself up at the gym the other day w/ a cheap VDH brush and some form of generic soap. I avoid the gym shave, but it did my heart good to see a brother giving it a go.

15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Shep, I remember once to shave at the gym, and the guy next to me was watching me to lather myself with my brush, and to shave with my DE, but he didn't say anything til after I was done. He asked me, "How old are you?" I say, "Young!!) :happy102

16. ryan0626

ryan0626 New Member

I've only heard good things about Noxema. As far as my experiences with canned goo, barbasol is my favorite.

17. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

it comes in plastic and no air is added but Clinique aloe gel for men is very good.

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I love to shave in places that that. Practice my road shave. I do not take goo with me anymore :D:D

19. rafikz

rafikz Member

Nivea gel
    Edge gels (yes yes)
    Aveeno

20. boyextraordinare

I can't wait to start shaving at the new gym I signed up with.