Gillette 7'o Clock

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by nickaber, Apr 24, 2009.

1. nickaber

nickaber New Member

Ok I've been shaving now for three weeks using CO Bigelow cream I think I got the making lather technique down.
    So far I've used a Derby blade which was okay just doesn't last long, a Feather blade which was smooth but lasted only 4 shaves, and now I'm on the Gillette 7 o'clock yellow pack which tore my face up on WTG,XTG,and ATG I think maybe it was a bad blade going to try a new one tommorrow. oh yeah my razor is a SS 40's.
    Do you guys have bad yellow blades or does my face not like them?
    :confused:

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Sounds like a bad blade. Or your technique needs to be adjusted for it.

3. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

I really like the 7 oçlock yellows, but I sent a bunch out to fellow wet shavers and the response to them was all over the map, some liked them, other hated them some thought they were ok. Blades are definitely a personal choice.
    I heard the Merkur blades are top notch ;) (very much kidding, these are among the worst I have tried)

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I think the 7 O'Clock Sharp (yellow) are excellent blades. However, they are sharp enough that technique is really important. When paired with quality soap and good technique they can be awesome.

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I did not like the yellows. I liked the greens even less. My favorite blade is the 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black) - and this is favorite blade period, not just favorite 7 O'Clock.

However, it could very well be that you just don't have your technique down yet. It's only been 3 weeks, which IMO is not nearly enough time to fully develop your technique, no matter how well you think you're doing. And I say this having been there myself, thinking I was doing great and picked it up quickly - fast learner, blah, blah, blah.... It wasn't until easily 3 months into it that I one day realized I had finally gotten it down...

But, it could be a bad blade, too. :rolleyes: Toss it and try another.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

+1 I liked the Yellows more then the green.. have not tried the Black. It was probably a bad blade. That does happen.

7. omegapd

omegapd New Member

and I'm the weird one here who likes the green because it's more forgiving than the yellow. :D

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I like the greens as well. I have enjoyed all of the 7 O'Clock blades that I have tried.

The greens are comfortable and smooth, the yellows are sharper and must be treated with more care - they don't feel as smooth to me, and the black is a compromise. To me, the black is sharper than green but not as sharp as yellow and smoother than yellow, but not as smooth as green.

But then again, I have read posts that claim the exact opposite... so I guess I am wired weird.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You get that a lot don't you my friend :D

10. Truckman

Truckman New Member

See, now I find the blacks to be the sharpest, but not as smooth as the yellows

maybe it's time for me to test them out again....Especially now that I've been using the blacks exclusively for some time now...

11. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

It would help if I could do constant side by side comparisons. However when I only shave once a day and then have so many other variables going on, it is hard to say for certain. I used to think yellows were very smooth, but since I have been using black the yellows feel rougher to me and at the same time sharper. Unfortunately, I came to that conclusion after I ordered 100+ yellow. I still use them, but I now prefer the black version. It has been a while since using the green. I would have to try them again to see how I would rate them now. But... if next week turns out to be "NEW - to me" week, then it would be a bad time to test blades.

Theme weeks do have an impact on the timeliness of my experiments. :cool:

12. Griz

Griz Member

I have been shaving this week with a 7 O'Clock Sharp in my '56 red tip. I love the blades, I find them sharp and smooth and I seldom burn or cut unless I am careless.

I haven't tried the blacks yet, but hope to soon.

Feathers are great as well, but I find that I have to take a little more care, or I will get some burn.

My go to blade is a Personna Red package. I don't hear much bad about it, but don't hear a lot good about it. I find it very forgiving and usually put it in a new razor for a test run.

Will N.

13. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

A lot of people here have great love for the Red Personnas. When I first started, they were one of my favorites. But then I started trying other blades, and I haven't gone back to them.

14. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Probably, but I'm in good company here. ;)

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:happy102 um you do have a point there.

16. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I tore up my face with a derby wednesday morning, so don't fault Proctor and Gamble about this one. Its more likely it was your technique.

17. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Well, for me, Derby's are not good. I love the 7 O'Clock yellows and blacks. Both are wonderful for me.

That being said I also like ASCO orange, Silver Stars and Bolzano's just as much.

It's another case of "YMMV"

18. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I liked the greens as I found them smoother than the yellows. I didn't care for Derby blades at all. 3 weeks isn't very long. It took me a couple of months to get things to really come together. Not than I didn't get some great shaves, it just takes time to get your technique perfected so you are doing the same razor strokes each time. My favored blades are the Astra Superior Platinum, but I'm ordering a couple of boxes of the 7 O'clock Blacks to take for a slide. And as many others say YMMV :)

19. theologist

theologist New Member

I've used the Blacks and the Yellows and like both.

The Blacks are a little rough to start with (may be the coating?) but they break in well and then last for a week or more (6 shaves at least). Good value.

20. TheBigL

TheBigL New Member

Has anyone tried the blue boxed 7 o'clock super platinum, made in Czech republic?