Strop Paste...how?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by garciabazan, Apr 28, 2009.

1. garciabazan

garciabazan New Member

Hello,

I have just recently joined the shave den and I hope I can benefit from the knowledge of all of you out there.
    I had been using a strop paddle to sharpen my blade and I recently bought a used vintage strop with a chair hook.
    I had never applied any strop paste to my other strop but I recently found out I should have been doing so (my strop is all leather, both sides, with one side clean and the other with a sort of green painted-on texture)
    My question is, should I apply the paste to my new vintage strop or not? What exactly is the paste for and how do I apply it? evenly all throughout the strop?
    Please...I'll greatly appreciate a "Using Strop Paste for Dummies" guide.
    Thanks a lot,

- Juan Carlos

2. JimR

JimR Active Member

Welcome Juan Carlos!

I'm no expert, but this is what I've learned over the last couple of months.
    If you mean a paste like Chromium oxide for maintaining an edge, your "green painted on texture" is probably already done...That's Chrox paste, I bet.

If you mean something like strop conditioner to keep your leather soft and supple, you maybe don't need it--just rub your hand on the strop a couple dozen times before you use it, the natural oils off your hand should help. If you really really want it, get some neatsfoot oil and rub it in with a soft cloth/brush. Not too much, though, it'll really soak into the leather.

If you're still in need of a "Dummie's Guide", here's a great link. (Sorry, it's off site, but it really is a GREAT guide).

3. Damon

Damon Member

Without looking at the strop it's hard to tell. Likely it already has a good amount on it and it's OK however if it gets Black and you feel it has stopped working it may need to be cleaned off and renewed a photo would help.

4. garciabazan

garciabazan New Member

Thanks for the info guys...i appreciate it.

The truth is, I've no idea what kind of strop paste I have. The guy at "The Art of Shaving" sold it to me and it's this mini paste tub with nothing written on it, it's just white with a yellow stripe.
    As for my paddle strop (the one with one side clear and the other with a green painted on coating), is the green part supposed to be used first and then the clear side? That's how I've been using it so far.
    Bottom line, what the heck is the paste for?

Thanks again,
    - Juan

5. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

I am not sure what you mean by a mini paste tub, but the white with yellow band sounds like the Dovo strop conditioning paste. Non-abrasive, leather conditioning (mainly fat, I think).

Is it like this (the yellow - banded one)?

StropPaste.jpg

If so, its only purpose is to keep the leather supple and in good condition. You apply it sparingly to the leather, and make sure you rub it in well. I generally put a little dab of it at about 3-4 places along the strop, then rub them in. Depending on the strop, I do this maybe twice a year if I'm lucky.

But my best advice would be to contact the person who sold it to you and ask them directly what it is (if it is not the same as in the picture I posted).

Your paddle strop probably does have an abrasive side, and it probably is the green side, and that green is probably, as JimR said, Chrome Oxide. But it might not be - careful testing might be required. Regardless, you would generally use the abrasive side before the plain leather side. But you should not use the abrasive side before every shave - it depends, but you might be able to go for 30 shaves or more before you need to use the abrasive paste. You would definitely use the plain leather side before every shave, however.

Chrome Oxide is abrasive, and I think it is about 0.5 micron, so it will put a nice smooth edge on a razor, but not if the edge is too far from shave ready. Generally you use abrasive pastes to refresh an edge that has "gone off the boil" a bit. However, if the edge is very dull, it is better to use hones or send your razor to a honemeister.

Good luck!

James.

6. garciabazan

garciabazan New Member

Thanks for all your replies.
    Yes, Jimbo, the paste that I bought is exactly like the yellow banded one you posted...so I guess that is only for upkeeping the leather itself. Thanks for clarifying that.
    As for other strops, with a canvas for instance...there is no need to put abrasive paste on it because the fabric side acts as one right?

Thanks again,
    - Juan