# of shaves from a SE blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Moe, May 4, 2009.

1. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

So you understand now? Good! Don't make the three of us hunt you down to explain in person! whacky102

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I was not going to mention that one.... but it is prolly a better description.

3. Moe

Moe Active Member

Nope, you are correct, the blades were from ASR, my bad.

4. Moe

Moe Active Member

Hey now, you guys are cutting in on my teritory with that lingo,,,, Ahhh wise guys huh?

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

We tend to drift around all over the map..:D It depends on who is off their meds.:cool:

6. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Gimme back my pills Wabbit!

Seriously, I strop the dulled carbon SEs and can get another whack out of them.

7. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

I do good to get two with the carbon steel blades.
    My one and only attempt at stropping yielded an edge that was amazingly smooth but wouldn't shave a single whisker :happy102

8. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

3 is about what I get without too much pain, no matter what the brand. :mad:

9. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i only use pellas these days and i get about 7 shaves from them.

10. Moe

Moe Active Member

Looks like I tried my SE a little too late. Seems to me there was a group buy going on for some Pellas. Does anyone know where I can pick up a box or two?

11. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Pellas only sell in bulk. I have heard they are the same as GEM stainless. I don't know that for certain.

Another bulk Pella buy will come along soon enough. In the meantime, I'm sure somebody will send you a few if you ask. I don't have any, otherwise I'd be glad to share.

12. Moe

Moe Active Member

Thanks! The SE is not my primary shave tool, so waiting for a group buy is no biggie. I've got a ton of DE stuff to work through anyway ;-)

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Didn't you once get like 300 shaves from a DE blade?:D

14. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

yeah... but then he decided that that one blade was a fluke and that the rest of them all tanked. I guess it was the holy grail of DE blades.

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

And he used it alllll up... GOOD WORK DAVE..;)

16. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

34 from a swedish gillette.

it turned out that i got 2 bum swedes in a row, so i was VERY VERY wrong :(

17. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I get 4-5 shaves out of an SE blade--provided I don't put the razor with that particular blade in a rotation. Some exceptional PAL blades will last even longer, but when carbon blades go bad, it's really sudden.

If I let an SE blade sit for say, a week without use, the edge seems to oxidize, and I get an painful rough shave, even if I shaved with it just once before letting it sit. Ouch!

BTW, I park all my razors in front of the air outlet on my bathroom air cleaner after use. The moving air keeps rust well in check and seems to make the blades hold an edge much longer. I usually get 7-10 shaves from my DE blades. I got nearly a month's worth of excellent shaves out of Tech loaded with a yellow 7 O'Clock SharpEdge that was cared for in this way.

18. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

5-6 from a pella.

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Great information.. thanks.

20. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Without hand stropping I can get 2 proper shaves with a GEM blade.I have to handstrop it or use my Kris Kros sharpener to discover how much longer the blade can cut without dulling.I bet that Dave knows it better about that than me.:D