What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by saltypete, May 14, 2009.

1. beyboo

beyboo New Member

Some Awesome Indian roasted and salted Cashews from Goa, and a couple of extra strong beers to wash them down on a sat evening (now) and listening to Russell Watson's Volare, Alanis Morissette, and all my fav Pearl Jam slow numbers.

They are showing a reality show on Indian Television where handicapped children compete. and its a friggin competition so someone loses.

Man - how sick will they get !!! :mad:

2. Corey

Corey Member

Ween - Live in Chicago

3. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Baroque music - primarily any recording by Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert I've been able to get my hands on. Vivaldi's 7 Concerti, Four Seasons, Bach's Italian Concerto, Violin Concertos, Handel's Water Music and Royal Fireworks Music and Messiah. I love Pinnock's Baroque recordings on the Archiv label.

4. CaptainDave

CaptainDave New Member

I never appreciated live music on CDs and DVDs until I got some really good headphones. But, I agree their music really reminds me of growing up...and not growing up. Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains are also two bands I grew up on and was pretty sad when I started hearing them all on Classic Rock stations :mad: I thought, "I'm not even 30 yet, WTF!"

I definitely check out the DVD next time at Best Buy.

5. Special_K

Special_K New Member

I think it will be a metallica day. all albums, shuffle on

6. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

For me, it is the works of Bach, Vivaldi, and Handel, as performed by Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert - multiple albums. I'm currently working my way through Handel's Messiah.

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

8. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Heaven and Hell, The Devil you Know. :1respect

9. profsaffel

profsaffel The a**s go marching one by one

Counting Crows - August and Everything After. Great album from a time when music wasn't so great.

10. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66, Herb Alpert Presents -- Great vocals, great piano, great album.

11. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

12. BrushAndBlade

BrushAndBlade New Member

An old Mercyful Fate/King Diamond compilation tape.

13. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Mozart's Piano Concerto No.13 performed by Murray Perahia and the English Chamber Orchestra.

14. saltypete

saltypete New Member

Been listening to my old Iron Maiden CDs. Killers, Number of the Beast and Live After Death. Great music and Maiden always had the coolest album covers. I have the picture of Eddie from the cover of 'A Real Live One' tattooed on my arm.

Pete

15. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

The Brandenburg Concertos performed by Nikolaus Harnoncourt and the Concentus Musicus Wien.

16. cfriend

cfriend New Member

RJD2 - Deadringer

17. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

:D

What do you think of this recording, Mike?

18. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Still working my way through them. Unfortunately, since it is a library CD, it is fairly scratched up, so in some cases I don't have an entire movement (as is the case for the 3rd movement of the 3rd concerto). I also got Trevor Pinnock's recording of the concertos, along with the orchestral suites. I like the crisper sound of Pinnock's recording, but I think I slightly prefer the slower tempo Harnoncourt takes at times. Pinnock does seem at times to rush things. But the sound quality of the Archiv recording with Pinnock is wonderful.

I have noticed, though, that the sharp sound can be a bit distracting when it comes to solo harpsichord pieces. I have Pinnock performing Bach's Italian Concerto on Harpsichord, and it almost has too metallic of a sound to it. Normally I prefer harpsichord where it was originally used, but here I might prefer piano.

Incidentally, I have picked up a few other pieces that I love - Grieg's 1st Peer Gynt suite performed by Karajan, 3 more of Schubert's Lieder (Death and the Maiden, Der Erlkoenig, and the Wanderer) by Moore and Fischer-Dieskau, and last night I got Dvorak's Cello Concerto performed by Rostropovich and Karajan. Of all the Dvorak music I have been sampling lately, that one caught my attention the most. I listened to it for the first time all the way through this morning. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have been reading the NPR guide to building a classical CD collection, and got some good ideas from it. However, the recordings recommended in it don't always match a lot of the other resources I have used to help me pick music. The author also seems to heavily favor Bernstein's performances, but I have read often that Bernstein played works the way he thought they should be played, not necessarily the way the composer wanted them to be played. I don't know what to think of that, so I have stayed away from his recordings thus far.

I also picked up Schonberg's Lives of the Great Composers for some educational reading. I really am getting hooked on classical.

19. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Right now I am listening to Gould playing Bach's Goldberg Variations (the '80's recording).

I also have been listening to Dvorak's Cello Concerto by Rostropovich and von Karajan, as well as von Karajan conducting Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite No. 1.

20. saltypete

saltypete New Member

Had Skid Row's best of album, '40 Seasons' ,playing this afternoon. they were a great band.

Pete