How to adjust Slim adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PhilNH5, May 22, 2009.

1. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

I won (won?? - I had to pay for it!) a 1962 slim adjustable on ebay. It arrived today. I soaked it in alcohol, scrubbed it and re-soaked in alcohol. It is in good to very good shape. Clicks at all the stops.
    I put a blade in it. From this site I thought I needed to open the TTO doors and then adjust. When I do this I see no difference between positions 9 and 1.

This is my first adjustable and only my second razor. A Merkur 38C is my other.

Which number will yield a more agressive shave?

Thanks
    Phil

2. wksimple

wksimple New Member

Yes, open the silo doors slightly to adjust. 9=most aggressive 1=least aggressive. Since this is your first adjustable, set it at 2 or 3 and shave with it for a while. Go from there. Good luck.:happy088

3. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Slims are great razors.I used one dialed at 9 about 4 days ago and was a great close shave,but as wksimple told you,dial it at 2 or 3 and go from there.Enjoy it!

4. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

wksimple and Teiste,
    Thanks for the useful info and the tips. I appreciate it.

Phil

5. djwurm

djwurm New Member

Do not dial the adjuster while silo doors are closed. Possiblity of a jam can occur!

6. wksimple

wksimple New Member

Phil,

You will love your Slim. I have two of them, a Gold and a silver, both from 1961. Best razors I have ever used! The fact that the Gold Slim was my father-in-law's makes it all that much more special. I have what you would call a normal beard, and I use mine set on 2 with a Feather blade and set on 3 using a Derby. Awesome shaves!:happy036

7. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I am new and trying not to get too out of control in having a fleet of razors. I have a 38C as my first, have acquired a few Red Tip SS's and a flair tip SS. These will be sold as soon as I am eligible.

I am waiting on a slant sledgehammer, but curious about the slims and fat boys. Would an adjustable be recommended to have in the fleet?

8. wksimple

wksimple New Member

As long as you set it and leave it while you are learning. The less variables the better in the beginning stages. I set mine at "2" and didn't change it for better part of a year. Once I found the right blade, soap, etc., only then did I start adjusting the Slim. Turns out 2 was just right for Feathers and 3 is just right for Derbys. Enjoy.

9. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Good to hear, I picked one up last week and it arrived today. G4 Slim w/case, got to get it cleaned up and try it out. My birth razor, I have not seen too many from the 4th quarter.

10. wazazzle

wazazzle New Member

i always leave the doors open, adjust, and then close.

11. Justin Low

Justin Low Member

I haven't tried a slant sledgehammer, but I would recommend a Futur. I've tried a number of vintage Gillettes, including the red tip SS, Slim, Fatboy; none of them gave me a really nice shave, YMMV I guess.

As for whether to get an adjustable or not, I don't see why not. If it doesn't work out for you, you can put it back on the Classifieds. :)

12. Special_K

Special_K New Member

why are you gonna sell those?

13. TheBigL

TheBigL New Member

Make sure you give it that last quarter turn to lock it down.

14. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I got hacked up pretty well with the Red Tips - may have been my technique. The Flair tip seemed to need more that 4 passes - too much time.

I really love the Super Speeds and TTO, but I am getting better results and faster BBS with the Merkur. I'd still like to try a fat boy or slim adjustable - maybe I can find a happy medium.

I still can't sell the razors -not enough posts yet.

15. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

As all said, open the silo doors then adjust your razor. A few weeks staying under 3 then go up. I dont go lower than 9 for WTG now.