Vintage Merkur Slant - updated

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gawga_boy, May 24, 2009.

1. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

Just scored on ebay what was reported to be a 40's vintage NOS Merkur Slant. Hope it the real thing and I like it. :D

Since I posted my message regarding what was an good upgrade to a 1947 SS, I was looking at the suggested FatBoy or the Slant. I'm a sucker for German stuff and couldn't resist the Merkur. Sorry Fatboy; you'll have to wait till I get over the lashing my wife's gonna give me about buying another razor. :happy102

2. UnklGus

UnklGus Member

I have been thinking about getting a slant too . I like the vintage things myself, though the brand new have thier place too. How much did you get your slant for?

My wife would probably give me a lashing too if bought another razor right now... she said " dont you think that three is enough?"

I did not resond....

3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Don't have a slant yet. If I mention it to my bride, she would probably help me find one. She is a bit of an enabler. I originally want 3/4 razors for some variation. I now have 34. She feels that collecting razors makes me happy, is alot less expensive than my motorcycle or amateur radio hobbies and that makes her happy. Go figure.

Now to go look for a vintage Hoffritz.

4. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

About what I would have paid for a new given the shipping many on line places charge.

Since I'm still able to type, I haven't yet broken the new to my wife. I'll drop the paypal receipt in our budget folder on the way to work one morning. :D

5. Corey

Corey Member

She's a keeper. Don't let her get away.

6. UnklGus

UnklGus Member

nice....:D

7. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Congrats on the grab, I was watching that one as well. But I forgot about it yesterday. If I am correct that was the second time it was posted. I have been looking for a vintage slant as well, and that is my thought on the price as well. A new one runs about 50+shipping so I won't pay much more than that even for a vintage. I was watching one, but found out it had a crack starting at the top of the handle. So I passed on that one. Be sure to post a few pictures and a review. :D PS:don't tell Dave and the Bunny that I was looking at a DE!

8. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

Thanks.

I saw the one with the cracked handle too. Once I saw that I passed it as well.

I thought a vintage Merkur would be better than and post Dovo acquisition Merkur but I might be wrong about that.

9. Paul_D

Paul_D Member

I know this isn't really that sort of website but if you ever felt like swapping your wife, you'll have plenty of takers!

I was in big trouble this morning when the postman delivered some Nancy Boy shaving cream courtesy of JoAnna.
    I'd also like a vintage Hoffritz but I'd better lie low for a little while......

10. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Can you post some pics of your new "german beauty"?The slant is a great razor,I have a 37C which provides me good,closed shaves.

11. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

12. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

Haven't got it yet.

I'm pretty technology backwards when it comes to digital photos. Only digital camera I have is a pretty crappy one in my work cell phone. If the real thing matches the photo posted on ebay I'll post that as I saved a copy of the image.

I might have to borrow my nephews digital camera. All I have is old foogie 35mm SLR equipment. :D

13. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

Well when I got home guess what was on my counter with the other mail? Yep you got it. This thing is a beauty. The plating and polish on the head and barrel are nearly flawless. The knurling is a satin white. I can't tell if it has finish applied or just the way the metal and kurling was executed. The only flaw in from age as the turn handle has what appears to be some staining. This photo doesn't do it justice.

I'm almost thinking of not using it as it has the original plastic case and cardboard box.

[​IMG]

But alas I'm gonna use it. Now to figure out which blade to use. Dang it's only 7:12 pm. 12 hours before morning. Don't know if I can wait that long. :D

14. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Thanks man!Thats a beautiful razor!!!!

15. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

You and me both, man.
    Oddly enough, I haven't yet owned a Merkur either.
    The Hoffritz shavers have just started to appeal to me recently.

16. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Thanks for posting that, it's purty! Be sure and let us know how it shaves, from what I understand it may take a few shaves to get it dialed in. :D

17. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

I loaded up a Gillette Swede this morning and give it a go. Smooth and effective. Much better than my 1947 SuperSpeed. I got on nick on my upper lip but that was my fault. But as Wndwalker says my technique will need adapt to the Slant. But with the right blade and with time to adjust my technique, I think I may have just found my razor.

18. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Gillette Swede+Slant= supreme BBS shave.I do like the Swede on my 37C.Im gonna try it tomorrow with the Russian Gillette to see if I archive the same results.

19. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

My second shave this morning was even better. Definitely takes a different technique to my '47 SS but puts the SS to shame.

I LOVE THIS RAZOR! :happy088

20. Teiste

Teiste New Member

I shaved with the 37C this morning and got an outstanding shave.In the DE world is hard to beat an slant(maybe an adjustable dial at 9)Im gonna try to find one like yours.I bet that is lighter than the 37C and I wanna try that.
    GOOD FIND my friend,enjoy its shaves!!:D