Feather Portable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ryan0626, May 27, 2009.

1. ryan0626

ryan0626 New Member

I recently learned about this absolute dynamo of a razor. Does anyone know where to find one at a cheap price? I heard some individuals here might be selling them, but am not sure if this is true today.

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

try pauldog. He used to sell them. If he doesn't respond to a PM, you may have to try at shavemyface.com He is more active there.

3. Moe

Moe Active Member

I found mine on the Bay, you might do a search there as well.

4. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

I bought my second from pauldog just recently. I'm thinking he's probably still the best source.

5. Corey

Corey Member

I got mine from Pauldog for an excellent price. It's a sweet little razor that I do enjoy using. I'm almost tempted to pick up two more to gift out to some friends. For the price, you really can't beat it.

6. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Corey, it weighs more than the Gillette Tech you so kindly sent my and Farha's way?

7. boyextraordinare

I don't get how such a solid, hefty razor sells so inexpensively - esp. considering the Popular is 20$...

8. Corey

Corey Member

It's very close in weight. I don't have a scale to tell you exact weights, but by feel, it's close. I might give the tip towards the Tech in weight, but I couldn't be positive. The Ball-End Tech is maybe 1/8" longer, but I'm willing to bet without that extra length the weight would be almost exact between the two. The Feather feels slightly more weighted towards the head. It's really an excellent razor, regardless of the price. The cheap price only makes it an even greater bargain. I will be ordering two more from Pauldog in the near future, one for a dedicated travel kit, and one for a friend who's interested in DE shaving.

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

to answer your size question:

Feather Portable:
    Handle Length: 7 CM or 2.75 IN
    Diameter: about 1cm or 3/8 IN
    Total mass with head: 53 g

Fatty Tech:
    handle length7.7 cm or 3 in
    handle diameter: 1.2 cm or 15/32 in
    total mass with head: about 45 to 46 g

Ball Tech (not the aluminum handle):
    handle length7.7 cm or 3 in
    Diameter: about 1cm or 3/8 IN
    total mass with head: about 59g

Summary: The feather portable feels very similar to the ball end tech. It is just 1/4 inch shorter and 6g lighter. Compared to a fat handle tech, the handle is .25 in shorter, a bit thinner, but more massive. Also, the head on the tech is about 2 g more than the head on the FP

10. boyextraordinare

What a deal. And it's new.

I don't get why the plastic Popular goes for 20...

11. Corey

Corey Member

Not only is it new, it comes in a nice little case with 2 Feather blades. :D

12. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I was under the impression that these are NOS and were discontinued years ago.

13. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

That may well be true. Luckily for us, Pauldog seems to have a pretty good supply of them. I bought 2 from him.:D

14. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

I got a Portable for 7$ new and a Popular for 15$
    Dont look on ebay it's way too inexpensive.

15. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

I just recieved one of these in the mail yesterday from pauldog and had my first shave with it today. I used one of the Feather blades that came with it.

I think this may be my new favorite razor and blade combo! I'll have to throw one of my ASR blades in it tomorrow for comparison to see how much I owe today's great shave to the extra blade exposure compared to my Weishi and how much is due to the sharpness of the Feather blades. Whatever the case, I did a two pass shave today with no need for touch ups on my cheeks and only slight touch ups on my neck. I'm very impressed!

My one small gripe is that it's a three-piece. I know that it makes the razor easier to travel with, but it also means I have three more pieces to worry about dropping.

I was worried that the shorter handle would make it more difficult for me to control, but that simply is not the case.

This little razor is an absolutely amazing value at $8.50 shipped!

16. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

I ordered one from Pauldog but looks like it as been lost in the mail.
    Almost 3 weeks now.

17. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

3 weeks to Canada - nah, that'll be with the Customs or CanadaPost's clearance shed. Takes anything from 2 minutes to 2 months to clear - no idea why they're so slow... they're outshone only by Italian customs in their slowness.

18. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

So, I put a fresh American Safety Razor blade in my Portable today and gave it a whirl. It still provided a closer two pass shave than my Weishi, but it wasn't as effortless as when I used one of the Feather blades in the Portable.

There are still a lot of blades that I've yet to try, but I think I've found what I'm looking for in the Feathers with this particular razor. I'll have to see how the edge holds up on them to know for sure.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if there is any real difference between the black label Feathers and the yellow ones?

19. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Yeah for sure eh!!

And something else - to mail anything 'inside' Canada costs like 5 times what it costs almost anyone in the world to send us stuff. It is cheaper for me to order stuff from the south tip of Florida than to get it from a 100 miles away!!! *&&^#@)^&)&@%$*

20. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

That's pretty ridiculous. I was unaware of that.