Gillette Sensor handle- good replacement cartridge blades?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by UncleStu, Jun 3, 2009.

1. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

Short version- what are some good, cheaper-than-Gillette replacement blade cart's for Gillette Sensor handles? And where might I find them?

Longer version: I began all this "forward into my past", return to DE shaving in De 08. Still, sometimes I'm pressed for time & have grabbed the Mach 3 for a quicker(if less classy & maybe even close) shave.

A month ago my brother carried off my M3 handle- something of a p*sser since I have about a dozen new M3 cartridge blades on deck.:mad:

I could happily do my "hurry up" shaves with a Sensor instead- and have two Gillette Sensor handles- but not a blade/cartridge in sight for them.:(

Same questions: What's a good quality, cheaper than Gillette brand, replacement blade/cart for my Sensor handles? Where can I find them?

All help appreciated.

2. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Dollar General makes "their" brand...I'm sure it's an ASR blade, though. Less than $2 for 5 I think.

Come to think of it, I think I have a 5 pack at home. I found an old Atra handle awhile back and didn't know what it was for and bought a pack of Sensor blades to see if they would fit. You're welcome to them if I can find them or didn't throw them away. ;) Let me know over a PM...

3. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

Omegapd, that's a very kind offer- but it'd cost you as much to mail 'em as it would for me to buy 'em, & then I'd feel guilty about it! :D I'll just check our small-town stores- red & yellow-sign Dollar Stores and a Fred's, & see what they have.

4. omegapd

omegapd New Member

No problem. Take me up on the offer if you can't find them. :)

5. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

Yup, I found 'em. Both Dollar stores have house brand at $2/5-pack, so I can get 'em whenever I'm ready.

FYI:The red sign $ store(Family) has what looks very useful for travel(& brothers with sticky fingers!:D), etc: A 14-pack(10-pak w/4 bonus) of twin-blade, lube strip, pivot-head disposable razors, for $2. Even after 8.25% tax, that's ~$0.16/razor, lots cheaper per unit than the house brand Sensor refills. These have blue handles, package sez,"Compare to Gillette Good News Plus". So if anyone's in the market for cheap disposables, these might serve well- or at least well enough. The Yellow sign $ store(General?) has what looks like the identical razors, in a different package, at 12/$2.25- still pretty cheap. Hmm...keep a couple of disposables, plus a small can of foam/gel in the suitcase, you'd have travel shaving taken care of. Not as nice as DE, brush & mug/cream, but serviceable. Or maybe an Arko stick & my Omega mini-travel brush(20087? ...87? I forget.)

6. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Most of the European stores give you a choice of three manufacturers of twin blade disposables, they are either Dorco's, ASR or Feintechnik. The Dorco's disposable looks just like their dual fit (Trac II/Atra) cartridges - and are cheaper than the the cartridges.

7. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Glad you found them. I've never used a Sensor but I do like the Atra for a nice change of pace...

8. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

I have 3 Trac II handles, 2 Sensor handles, and *had* one Mach III handle. Somehow I missed the Atra, maybe back in my bearded years. Atra= used/uses Trac II blades, has swivel built into handle?:confused:

Oh yeah- one store had store-brand TracII blades w/lube strips $1/6, the other was maybe $1/10.

But we're saving money with our DE/SE/Straight shaving, right? Right! :D:happy102

9. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Trac II slided on, the Atra (or Contour to me ;)) uses grips, er well here is a pic of both :D.

This is a Metal Atra.

Attached Files:

10. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

Sabre, thanks for clearing that up! I've seen blade cartridges that say they fit both Trac II and Atra, but your photo clearly shows different blade mounting. So the ones I saw must be "trick blades".

11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

No they can fit both, below are both handles with a Dorco "dual fit" cartridge. The Trac II cartridge slides on sideways, whilst the Atra has the clips.
    Personna also make cartridges that fit both.

Attached Files: