Double Edge Single Edge Razor Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rainman, Jun 9, 2009.

1. rainman

rainman New Member

Made for the Micromatics. An interesting piece of history I thought I would share.

Attached Files:

2. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I saw these blades once before. This design makes perfect sense and the only reason I can see that prevented it's adoption is that they could only sell half as many blades.

3. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

:shocked003 Thanks for posting that, I have never seen one ot those! You probably hit the nail on the head, about only selling half as many blades leading to their demise.

4. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Thanks for sharing that pic!I have never seen one of that blades.Are they thick as the regular SE blade?

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I know they were made for the Micromatics, I wonder if that is why they have a bad reputation now.

People use a regular s/e with the spine on them in the MM, I wonder if the spine kicks up the back of the blade and changes the blade angle enough to make them trickier to use and hence their bad rep?

6. Special_K

Special_K New Member

7. rainman

rainman New Member

That could make alot of cents. I guess this could be confirmed by some using some new preserved blades like these and see if there is a difference. Also Teiste's thought of them being thinner having an effect as well.

8. cristobal41

cristobal41 New Member

Hi to you all,
    I found some original GEM blades at ebay. Don't you think that so old blades will be unavoidably rusted? Aren't our day's blades better manufactured? Any reversible blade out there?
    Regards.