How many straights

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jbcohen, Jun 22, 2009.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

How many do you have? I have one that's out getting sharpened by the master himself, Lynn Abrams. Thinking of getting a second.

2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    How ever many make you happy :D

There comes a point that you change from a user to a collector though...Dont ask me how many that is :happy102

3. selhov

selhov New Member

you start by beang a user of straight,s then you get to now dirent maker,s and size,s designs then the big moment hit,s you and you become a collector i have at the moment abbout 30,s and now dought will grow ,i love the difrent shave,s i get and collecting is now a hobbie, go with the flow more the better,:happy:happy102

4. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Well, we are moving house at the moment and I have been packing things away. So I have a very accurate estimate of how many I have.

I have enough that I am glad I am the one packing my razors away! :happy102

But on a serious note it is, in my opinion, always good to have a couple of razors in your rotation so that you can always grab a shave ready one if another has gone a bit dull etc.

James.

5. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

6 counting the one I just bought. Looking for number 7.

6. joed

joed New Member

I have one less than I need and every time I think I purchased that one and re-evaluate I come up with the same results, one less than I need.

Since you asked, this is all I have at the moment.:D

I was trying to re=organize them over the weekend and JoedJr took the pic.

Attached Files:

7. Crankymoose

Crankymoose Member

Joed, it is beautiful pics like that:eek: which help me feel somewhat sane when I look at my collection of around 60 in comparison :D

8. selhov

selhov New Member

what a impresive collection it look,s reall FAB i cant get over it i wish i could be thair and see them all in person i keep looking at the pickture ,WOW my little 30 somthing fals in the shade thanks for the pic,s its nice to see a really great collection ,well done

9. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I guess I am a little unusal I am attempting to pair down the shave den a bit. I am attempting to replace eight safeties with one or two straights, for a net loss of six blades. Makes for a smaller footprint in the bathroom and makes thing a bit easier to find. I am a little tierd of having my shave hardware take over the bathroom, which they seem to do all of the time these days.

10. Taco

Taco New Member

Five honed, four more ready to be honed, and a few more projects before hone ready.

Kevin

11. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Two. One I bought here from Padron (a Boker) before I even got involved at TSD and another I found in an antique mall (Jones Brothers). I also have a shavette style razor but don't really count that as a true straight...

That's enough for now. ;)

12. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I have 3 in my rotation and 4 ready in reserve and several to be evaluated. :D

13. MrsMudkipz

MrsMudkipz New Member

I have one at the moment and hubby has 7. We are like JoeD and have one less than we need

14. I have 2 western style straights.
    I have 4 japanese style non-folding straights.

15. Basset

Basset New Member

I have around 12 that are shave ready, and 3-4 that I am in the midst of restoring. The breakthrough for me was finding a straight user / restorer / collector who was looking to swap some for fountain pens, which I collect. I ended up getting 7-8 really nice razors, ranging from Boker to Thiers Issard, to Dubl Duck, to Torry -- all shave ready. That swap deal totally sealed my fate, as I the only cash outlay I had to make was to pick up a filly strop from Ruprazor.com.

BTW, anyone else out there looking to trade extra straights for fountain pens, let me know . . . I still have plenty I could trade.

16. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Hmmm...close to 30. About ten of those in regular rotation.

17. I have eight, though one's mostly retired. The plan is to keep that number pretty constant (unless I score something at an antique store.......yet to see any razors in the stores around here).

18. I have twelve of which 5 are in the daily rotation.

19. Utopian

Utopian New Member

About 15 in my rotation at home and 7 in my rotation in my locker and 7 full shoe boxes full of project razors. Fortunately I'm in the process of converting a Shopsmith into a three wheeled buffer so I'll be able to work my way through them in maybe 10 or 15 years.