Summer Shaving Tips?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Gelf Lover, Jun 27, 2009.

1. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

***let me make one exception to the "no morning shaves during summer" rule: Sunday morning. IF, big IF, I forget to shave Saturday night, I shave Sunday morning before church.
    Needless to say I nearly never skip shaving Saturday night...except last night :o

2. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

What is ocm?

Make sure you drink heaps of water dude. It will help your body rid itself of toxins that may otherwise come out thru the old hide.

3. sol92258

Oil Cleansing Method

4. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

It looks like the sweating is the problem. It's been raining the past couple of days and since I haven't been sweating my skin is starting to clear up a bit. Maybe I'll just tell my wife that she needs to do all of the yard work since the sweating is interfering with my shaves. How do you think that will go over?

5. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

:happy102 about like a turd in the punch bowl

6. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Thankyou for putting in the link it sounds interesting.

How well do the "oil" mixtures wash off? Or, is the idea to leave the film on your face to assist in the shaving process??

I reckon the showerf floor will be as slick as owl poop afterwards.:eek:

7. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

I've been doing better with my skin lately. I started to use my Clean & Clear soap (a mild soap) in the morning and the Aveeno stuff in the evening. I shave in the morning so I'm hoping that this will be easier on the skin. Also when washing my face I only use my hands (no washcloth) and we'll see how that does.

8. sol92258

it is absolutely terrific!
    depending on which method you use, most of the oil comes off, either with the hot towel, which will absorb much of the oil, or rinsing off it off in the shower as Truckman has stated is his preference. The idea is to leave a little oil on your face, so as to keep the moisture there and not overdry your face, as most facial cleansers do, and thus your face responds with more oil production to compensate.
    the benefit in shaving, particularly to the original post here, is to clean the face better to help prevent breakouts, but yes, the oils do sort of act as a pre-shave oil and aid in slickness, too.

I use the towel method, so very little oil makes it to the shower floor when I do OCM in the shower, most of the time I do it at the sink, so it can be a very "clean" process (nice pun, huh?)

I imagine Truckman re-enacting Ice Capades with his method, though! :happy097
    I jest, I jest!

9. Special_K

Special_K New Member

I go with the way truckman describes but I heat up a towel in the shower and wrap it around my face right before turning off the shower. By the time I dry off and I'm ready to shave, the towel has lost its heat and I simply give my face a wipe with the towel and start shaving. I wasn't so sure of this OCM before I started doing it but my skin has really benefited from it. Now its just a regular part of my routine. I use the same oil mix that for the OCM that I do for a touch up oil pass.

10. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I haven't detected any extra slipperiness to the shower floor from doing the OCM. You don't use gobs and gobs of oil; I just use about a nickle size in my cupped palm for my beard, and about the same or a little less for the rest of my face. I found that using 2 smaller applications of the oil wastes less from having it drip down my arms. When I rinse it off, I just use my bare hands and kind of massage my face for an extended period. No towels, washcloths, or anything extra. I don't think it's possible to rinse it all off so that you don't have an oily feeling and your face feels dry. Also, I think that's the point - to leave a bit of a soft, oily feeling....it's hard to explain because it doesn't feel oily like oily skin, but just soft, well hydrated and well nourished.

11. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Ah it all makes sense now, thx.

I once had a bit of drama in the shower, not shave or cleanse related, with baby oil..:happy102:happy102

Not wanting to appear to be poacihing this thread.. where would one purchase castor oil?

12. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

Health section in like walmart or grocery store. Castor oil is a natural laxative.

13. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Yeah...not going near that one! :happy102 :happy102 :happy102

I use the cold pressed castor oil - I pick mine up locally at a natural foods type store. Also Whole Foods carries it, at least the one I went to did. But now I go to the natural food store. You may be able to find a good deal online, too...I picked up a grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, almond oil 3 pack for a great price at Amazon... I think the laxative castor oil is different from the cold pressed castor oil.

14. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

Actually the use of castor oil for different folk medications comes from cold pressed castor oil.

15. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Certain GNC also has a lot of the oil but definitely the natural food stores are the best bets.

16. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Right, but what I'm saying is that I think you'd want to get specifically Cold Pressed Castor Oil for using the OCM.

[​IMG]

I don't think you'd want the Castor Oil, USP version to use in the OCM.

[​IMG]

Maybe I'm wrong, but you still won't find me buying the Castor Oil, USP for the OCM...:D

17. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

Sorry...forget what I wrote. I must be tired or something, I read your post wrong.

18. sol92258

yes, make CERTAIN you get cold pressed castor oil, the kind you find at wal-mart isn't optimum.

19. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

:eek: laxative, baby oil, shower :eek:

20. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

I've been using very lightly scented shave soaps followed by TN Dickenson witch hazel and skinfood. It seems to work really well for me.