Semogue Badger Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by fozz77, Jun 29, 2009.

1. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Guys do any of you have have experience with Semogue badger brush's.

Fozz

2. Corey

Corey Member

There are quite a few of us here who are on the Semogue bandwagon. They are excellent brushes, made remarkably well, and priced amazingly low. I, and others, have a 1305, and the general consensus is that they are excellent.

3. Teiste

Teiste New Member

If they are like the boar ones I can tell that they must be great.:D

4. Corey

Corey Member

D'oh! Might help if I learned how to read. Didn't see the badger part of it, just automatically assumed boar brush. That'll learn me to read first.

5. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Thats too funny :happy102:happy102:happy102:happy102

6. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Well.... i have one on the way from vintage scents. I will let you know how it goes. :D

I will use it while travelling ( i do a bunch ) I was using a chzec & speake travel brush & liked it alot. However, after 10 years it had finally shed so much that it had to go into retirement. :sad023

7. beyboo

beyboo New Member

I have a Semogue 730 silvertip picked up from Shavingessentials.net

I am a boar guy and must admit that the Semogue silver tip is an amazingly different experience with creams. The brush really pampers my skin, stores all the heat and hot water and creates amazing oddles of lather which I keep on squeezing out of the brush.

I thought Omega boars were ultimate with Indian creams like the Godrej, but the Semogue 730 takes the crown for generating the lather from these creams. I have had to reduce the amount of cream I use with this badger else the excessive lather chokes the brush !!!

8. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

That is good too know. Have you had the chance to try it with soap?

9. beyboo

beyboo New Member

I am not too much of a soap guy and the only soap I get around here is the Godrej Shaving Round. I prefer using a boar with it, may give the badger a try over the weeekend.

10. RayG

RayG New Member

I had the 2105, which is the same as the 730 but with the oak handle. I only have good things to say about it. Excellent with both soap and cream, well built and balanced. Great brush for the money.

11. beyboo

beyboo New Member

+1.

I also understand the Semogue Horn Handle 2009 limited edition brushes were based on the 730 knot.

12. Leon

Leon Active Member

Hello.

Not quite. While they both have a silvertip loft, the limited edition had a special grade silvertip hair that is not exactly the same as the 730 and 2015 hair.
    The hair from the limited edition is slightly softer and whiter (and rarer and more expensive to get). This hair was only used in these LE brushes.

13. beyboo

beyboo New Member

Thanks Leon, I guess no one can challenge you on those brushes ;)

I think i read a mention to the 730 in your original post on those awesome brushes...

On the subject, having experienced the semogue 730 - I have got a bit paranoid as it is sooooo soft and wonderful on the face. Will it take a daily beating and yet survive a couple of years or decades ?

If its going to die on me in a couple of years, I might as well make it my weekend luxury brush and look for a pure/best badger for roughing it out !

My normal routine is to dip the brush in some hot (not the steamy scalding variety) while I shower and then allow the lovely heat to be morphed in to creamy lather with any of the lovely Indian creams...

Appreciate your inputs.

14. Leon

Leon Active Member

Semogue brushes are built to last. The resin that holds the knot into the handle is made in a way that very few brushes shed a few hairs like all of you have been noticing that.
    But even so, I don't think any brush last several decades after daily uses, right?

I think if everyone takes proper care of its brushes then their brushes will last.

If the water isn't too hot and doesn't drown the entire knot up to the handle, then there's nothing to worry about.

15. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Well i have had the Semogue 2015HD for a week now. There was a little "funk" on it when first opened, probably something to protect the bristles while in storage?? Anyway that soon went after some practice lathering & half a dozen shaves.

The brush build quality is excellent & i really like the handle shape.

It performs very well at face lathering the La Toja SS i also picked up at vintagescents. It performs flawlessly with creams too.

A great brush!

16. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Dead animal hair.

17. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Oh Gosh Matt,you just destroyed Fozz innocence....:happy102:happy102

18. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

I don't think so Matt. It smelt more like moths gonads too me :happy102

19. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

That was destroyed sometime back Teiste.....:D:happy102

20. Truckman

Truckman New Member

:happy102 :happy102 :happy102 :happy102

I can't believe I'm asking this...it's like a train wreck you just can't look away from.... But how in the world do you know what moth gonads smell like? :rolleyes: :happy102 :happy102 :happy102 :happy102

That's interesting...both my badger and vintage ER boar had similar animal smells....actually, the ER took quite a while to get rid of it, and it would still ocassionally creep back up. I think my Semogue had a little bit of a smell, but it didn't last a day if that...