OMG! Broken Wapi! Razor TRAGEDY!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by olafurson, Jul 20, 2009.

1. olafurson

olafurson Member

Dammit.

I totally dropped my Wapi on the tile floor at the gym today and broke the cutting edge of the blade. No kidding.

These pictures suck, but maybe you can get the idea:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It literally cracked a chunk out of the edge, and now that chunk is just flapping in the breeze.

Sad, sad me!!! I couldn't even shave today!

And since my other Wapis are "at the shop" I may actually have to pull my electric razor back out of the closet. ARGH!!! :sad023

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Oh man, that sucks, I feel for ya!

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Oh man, sorry to hear that!

4. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Complete and total tragedy :( :sad024 Can it possibly be sent to someone who regrinds? You would lose some blade width, but it would be usable again.

5. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

That may be close enough to the edge that it could be easily ground out. The only stinker would be if there is a crack that extends deeper into the blade.

6. Fozzy-Beard

Fozzy-Beard Member

Hi Greg,

yes, I agree! To my mind this can probably be rapaired and you can use it again! I've seen our honing popes really doing magic to old straights that you won't believe!

Michael

7. JimR

JimR Active Member

Oooohhhh...that hurts, man. Sorry to hear it!

8. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Oh my gawddd!!

terrified.jpg
    Sorry to hear that dood.

9. Utopian

Utopian New Member

If you'd like, I can probably grind that out and re-hone it for you. I'll send you a PM.

10. Batmang

Batmang New Member

You da man Ron!!;)

11. Utopian

Utopian New Member

I haven't ventured over to the Shave Den for a while but I figure I can help this guy out. I don't have a Bader yet (I figure I'll have to give my wife another year before I spring that one on her) but I do have a 90rpm wet grinder that works great for removing major damage. I only use it for stuff that most people would use breadknifing for removing major damage but it works much faster. Because of the the low rpm wet wheel, there is zero risk of affecting the temper.

12. olafurson

olafurson Member

Yeah, like he said. Hooray! To Utopian the Wapi goes!

Now if I can only convince him to rescale it for me......... ;)

13. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I had hoped someone would be able to help. Those are nice razors and well spoken of.

14. beyboo

beyboo New Member

Why don't u connect to Bob around here, he is the resident expert on innovation with things which shave. He may be able to help !

15. GregJDS

GregJDS New Member

very brittle steel in some of f them wapis

16. Utopian

Utopian New Member

I don't think the steel in Wapis is bad at all. In my extremely limited understanding of metals, I was under the impression that the trade off for steel hardness is brittleness. I believe most razors would suffer similar or worse damage if dropped onto a tile floor.

17. michhop

michhop New Member

Umm thats kinda why they tell ya never to drop a straight ... but thas ok you can have some good come of this sell me the scales!
    mike

18. olafurson

olafurson Member

Ummm.... OK!

PM me an offer. I'll keep the blade.

-greg