Which Yields a Longer Lasting Shave: DE or Cart.?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by boyextraordinare, Jul 31, 2009.

?

Which Yields a Longer Lasting Shave: DE or Cart.?

1. DE

40 vote(s)
    87.0%
  2. Cart.

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Same

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Pick any DE and blade combo and juxtapose it against anything Sensor-esque and up - that's to say, a spring-loaded, pivoting-headed, rubber-finned, etc. modern razor.

The way I feel about it is, they both shave me equally close but a DE shave lasts longer.

What do you guys say?

2. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

It's not quite that clear cut for me - when I was using a cartridge razor, I'd avoid shaving for as long as possible - so a shave could 'last' 3 or 4 days, now I'm using DE, I want to shave as often as possible, so sometimes as little as 8 hours :D

3. fuerein

fuerein New Member

It depends somewhat. I haven't used a cartridge in years, so this is from what I remember. I would say when I am in a rush and I only do one or two quick passes with my DE that the shave is pretty nominal and the beard becomes noticible at least as quickly, if not faster, than when I shaved with a cartridge. However if I take my time and do a thorough job with the DE it definitely lasts longer.

4. pablo_h

pablo_h New Member

5. boyextraordinare

Full-Fledged Gemocrats Need Not Apply.

[EDIT: If someone has an SE he or she wants to unload, I'll gladly accept; I need to know what the hysteria's all about ;)]

6. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Check the Classifieds ;)

7. Jonnie

Jonnie New Member

I almost could shave every other day but there's just enough that I need to do it every morning before work. I used disposables for about six years before recently starting DE shaving.

As far as I can tell my face still feels a little smoother in the evening than it did when using the disposables. I find that with either razor my morning shave varies but on average is about the same between the two.

So, My vote is for DE lasts at least a little longer. The bigger reason I will vote for it is that for same shave feel and length, I have NO razor burn with the DE but every morning was a "face on fire" deal with the disposables.

8. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

when I used cartridges, I had to shave everyday
    now with DE, if I have to I can skip a day and still be presentable....but who'd want to, as relaxing and enjoyable as it is now!?

9. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

+1

10. Special_K

Special_K New Member

For the poll I will say DE but an SE lasts longer than the DE.

BE, I could sell you one of mine if you are interested. PM me your price range and I'll see what I have.

11. boyextraordinare

I've too much gear as is - going to unload almost all razors.

I've heard a number of accounts from bright people who cite carts. shave them closer and longer than DEs do, but their "shave snobbery" keeps them using DEs.

Personally, I'm confident I get equally close-looking shaves with either, but DE shaves outlast the other by a considerable margin.

If I was an ATG shaver, I probably would never bother with a DE and just use plastic disposables, but I'm very ingrown-prone.

Glad to hear people believe DEs do better with longevity, though I hope shave snobbery's not creating the proverbial rosy sunglasses effect.

12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The few times I used a cartridge razor I found the shave did not last so long as with a DE. It was also not so comfortable as with a DE.

13. Hiya,

I may be wrong, but the closer the shave, the longer it takes for the whiskers to grow back. That's not to say a BBS result isn't possible without it being an extremely close shave, because things like injectors and certain cartridges also made for a smooth ending for me.

First time I got an usually close and long lasting shave was when using a DE. No, it didn't happen right away.....maybe a little over a year after the switch. In the meantime I was getting some really nice results......BBS with no irritation. Then I tried something new, and I realized what 'close' really was about.

I started using some of the more aggressive razors, and was truly amazed at how much less stubble there was to shave the next day. Seriously, it was strange to see how effective some of these razors were....totally unexpected. The amount of whiskers 24 hour later is how I judge the closeness.

Many razor/blade combos leave my face very smooth, but the ones with a big bite are just a little more effective. Hehehe, the irony is I rarely use those types since the comfort level isn't the same with that type. It's sad, but nothing I can do. Changing blades doesn't help much..........just the nature of the beast.

Martin

14. Will

Will Nevermind

A Straight.

Cart razor = five o'clock shadow at 10 am

DE = about 5 pm.

Straight = no shadow at all.

15. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

DE shaves last longer for me, since they're the only blades I'll use now (save for the occasional SE- a good open comb Micromatic shave can last me two days).

Cartridges cause me too much pain.

16. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

single edge.

17. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

I have about 8 DE shaves under my belt now.

They are not BBS by any means. I just havent pushed DEs ATG yet. I love not having any irritation, and my skills are not where I would like them to start ATG every shave. I did do it my first shave though, but I did it so lightly that it wasnt much effect.

My beard is weird and very very thick. Some spots it looks like their is 2 hairs growing out of the follicle I dont feel that I have enought hair growth to make a comfortable shave everyday because my beard is so thick. I havent tried shaving everyday yet.

With a sensor I would do a BBS and it would grow back by 4. It wasnt worth all the irritation I would get even if I didnt do a BBS. I have a good feeling that a DE will last me until 7 or 8 if I pushed it.

18. Truckman

Truckman New Member

:confused: :confused: :confused:

So, do you want one or not? You're asking for one, then two of us reply and then you say you have too much gear.... So, do you want one or not? Or you only want someone to give you a freebie, is that it?

19. omegapd

omegapd New Member

I want something for free! Pick Me! Pick Me!

Second thought...there's no telling what Truckie and Cereal Boy may have...

:)

20. pablo_h

pablo_h New Member

Even though I usualy shave with a GEM, there's more to SE than GEMs.
    I said SE rather than GEM because I wasn't snubbing anyone with a schick, wedge or other types of SE :D