Single edge Safety Razor Advice

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Bi-Merkurious, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Bi-Merkurious

Bi-Merkurious New Member

I was just wondering if there was anyone who could advise me on what models of the GEM single edge razors are worth going for? Are they all the same just change in handle and tto type? How do SE razors compare to DE's performance wise?
    Also where can replacement blades be found?

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Here's my experience with SEs:

1. the clamshell types shave similarly to one another. this includes the featherweights, the 1912s, G-bars, etc... Any of them that have a spring loaded mechanism to hold the top shut like a clamshell. The one exception that I've read about (but not tried yet) is the lather catcher. They're reported to give excellent shaves.

2. the TTO SEs are known as micromatics. The open comb variety is very aggressive. You can get an excellent shave with it but you have to be very careful. I've never tried the safety bar version but it's supposed to be a milder shave. Micromatics require a different shaving angle than other SEs.

3. DE vs. SE... they're different. Separate but equal, in my opinion. The angle's different for SE and the shave goes faster (with anything but my o.c. micromatic). I usually use a DE.

4. SE blades can be purchased at any CVS or walgreens across the nation. You can also buy them in bulk online through Ted Pella. The Pella blades are reported to be excellent but I haven't tried them.

5. recommended? You can pick up a featherweight (GEM razor with a plastic handle) for approx. 5 bucks on the bay or someone might even give you one. You can get a GEM or GEM junior fairly easily. Pick one you like and go with it- but since you're just starting out, stay away from the micromatics. Micromatics are good razors- they're just not good to start with.

3. Teiste

Teiste New Member

GEM 1912 and Micromatic both open and close comb.Featherweight is a good option and cheap.
    Ever Ready 1912 and 1924

Single edge shaves better and closer than a regular DE however Im still using DEs.

Ted Pellas are the best SE blades that you can get.

4. Fairway Ray

Fairway Ray New Member

I'm using a later model GEM, the G-Bar with GEM blades. It shaves very close and I have not cut myself in the two weeks I have been using it. It is a rather unique experience after shaving with thin bladed DE's. Oh, and razor irritation has not been a problem.

Ray

5. Bi-Merkurious

Bi-Merkurious New Member

thanks for the advice guys :)

6. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

SEs 1900 - 1912 Gem or ER. Thats it. They changed the geometry later on by bits that changes the shave. Not sure if that is perception or fact, but my face can tell a difference.

Blades, stay away from Pella. They are like feathers, too darn sharp. Personnas that are had the Walgreens give a consistent shave and cheaper to boot.

Schick 1930 - 1960.
    Best "cartridge feel" razor out there without the cartridge price. Injectors can be had at the same places. Canada I have heard has problems with the injectors.

Of the two I recommend a 1912 SE or a 1945 - 1950 Schick. Both are smooth and consistent. The Gem/ER is closer to a str8. If you want to move closer to this direction I recommend a Rolls.

7. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Pellas like Feathers?mmmmmmm:confused: I find them enough sharp and smooth(not like Feathers) I would say stay away from GEM blue star but from the Pellas.....

8. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Just my opinion having used both.

I find that both Pellas and Feathers are too sharp for my face and eat it like a cheese grater.

I hear that Personnas are second hand Pellas or are made by the same company. Not sure how accurate that statement is, just something that I read somewhere.

9. Teiste

Teiste New Member

My friend,did you use the coated ones or the normal ones?I can see the point on the normal ones being more sharp and less smooth cuz dont have the coating,but the coated ones are really smooth IMHO

10. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

PTFE. I think. I am sure that they were coated.

Remember that Pellas are for specimen slicing, not for shaving. We use them for that purpose but they are designed to shave specimens. Feathers are made by a factory that makes medical equipment like scalpel blades, specimen preparation trays etc. They are designed for medical needs and as such are sharper than regular Gems/Personnas.

You could buy an Enders razor and use a Stanley Carpet blade from Home Depot, but you wouldn't, why cause they are not designed to shave with.

Better shave cheaper and you do not have to buy 100 at time, or buy from others.

IMHO, NOI.

11. Fairway Ray

Fairway Ray New Member

I guess ymmv applies when it comes to blades. I had my third shave with a Ted Pella coated GEM today. I have no problem what so ever with them. I do not find them that much sharper than the GEM Personas you can buy in a Walgreens. They never the less give me a great shave.