How Long Do You Guys Take Drying Your Boars?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by boyextraordinare, Aug 16, 2009.

1. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

This has been a major source of annoyance for me lately.

The brush in general, the boar in particular.

I get a fine shave and feel good, and then I have to trouble myself with drying the brush.

Badgers are quick, Boars the opposite.

What do you guys do? I think I may be sweating it too much and being overly concerned with getting the brush dry-dry before I let it alone following a shave.

If it were a matter of giving the thing a shake and letting it sit, I'd be happy.

Would this be ill-advised.

I squeeze, shake, towel dry. 5 minutes at least.

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Shake it once and set it aside. Maybe wipe off the handle to avoid soap scum :)

3. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Shake it dry and blot on a towel. Blot and blot and blot. Shake again and set aside.

4. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Thats what I do too and its more than enough to dry it properly.

5. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Forgot to say by blot I mean screw the brush into the towel. It is the only way to get at the deeper portions of the brush. This also helps to relax the bristles a little.

6. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Get 6 more and have a 7 day rotation, bud. Never worry about it again. :)

Actually, I have 3 that I rotate with no problems.

7. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Actually any brush's being wet by the next shave is no issue for me.

I just don't want the things to mildew...

As is, I'm taking 5 min. or so on each brush, which is how long it takes me to shave.

I gave today's boar 30 seconds of toweling...

My only concern, as I noted, is mildew. But if the brush's are left in the open, it's not a problem, right?

8. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

Shake out the excess, paint it a few times on the towel - then let it stand on the side in the open.

9. Deryan

Deryan New Member

This is what i do :cool:

10. selhov

selhov New Member

give it a good rinse and shack it well, rub on towel leave on bathroom window let the fresh air to get to it work,s for me i never have any problems drying them out but i do have a rotation so never use the same brush the next day ,just let plenty of air to get to it and it should dry out good luck

11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I have 3 boars and 2 badgers, more than enough to rotate. Or just shave twice a week :D.

12. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

I use my two brushes in rotation. Both are badger, but when I used boar´s in the past there was no difference in my "procedure"...

I Shake out the excess moist, then brush it onto a towel and then let it hang in a brushstand in the open air.

13. flipflopsnowman

flipflopsnowman New Member

Here's my routine:

1) Shave
    2) Rinse brush
    3) Shake into the tub (act like you're throwing it and use centripetal force to remove the water)
    4) Paint on a towel a few times
    5) Paint on my left forearm until I think it's dry enough
    6) Put it on the shelf

14. beyboo

beyboo New Member

how did u guess i do that :D

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I treat it the same I treat my badger...
    Rinse thoroughly
    Shake aggressively
    Several swipes on a towel
    Set on the counter

Haven't had a problem.

I believe you answered your own question, "I think I may be sweating it too much."

16. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

That sounds like a plan Eric. You are becoming an enabler :happy102

17. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

I shake mine vigorously several times (into the shower stall so it doesn't go everywhere) and then as you say set it aside.

I used to set my brush in the bathroom window but then read somewhere not to keep in direct sunlight so moved it to shelf on bathroom wall.

18. Hogrider

Hogrider Member

How to dry boar brushes

:cool:I have a professional boar brush made by Omega..it is a big boy. I do the following:

• Rinse well, specially in the middle of the knot
    • Shake excess water inspect; if there is more soap rinse again
    • Shake excess water one more time
    • Towel dry and let it stand up on its base. Do not store in medicine cabinet

19. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

Usually i rinse the brush, give it a squeeze, shake it a couple of times to get the excess water out and after i brush it on a dry towel to remove most of the water.
    After i leave it there and during the day(if im home) i give it a couple of brush on the dry towel.

20. insomb

insomb New Member

24 hours. I shake it, and dry it off with a towel. I don't even hang the thing (probably a bad idea) I should look into that...