New Female, Advice?

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by ella, Aug 21, 2009.

1. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Yeah, right... :D

2. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

:rolleyes:

3. rickboone

rickboone Member

For under $40, your possibilities are endless. I bought my Merkur long handle for $35, wife's for $31.50, both free shipping off da bay...

Bullgoose is a good place to pick up a sample pack of blades as well as your razor and brush.

or

For $25 you can get a really nice brush from AOS (art of shaving), that comes in their starter kit. Actually, you can get this brush for FREE at their website, provided you have an AOS store near you.

I see a lot of women prefer a larger brush. Easier to lather more area more quickly?

My wife uses that small brush from AOS just fine. She enjoys it.

I lather in a metal bowl I got from my kitchen cabinet.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    A lot? :confused: Not sure who the women you are referring to are, but I use a BLK4, not really a big brush. From what I've seen, or recall, from her posts, MsBlackWolf's brushes are of an average knot size, too. Gatto has a large brush, though. Don't recall the other ladies around here talking about their brushes, so can't say, but a larger brush is not necessary.

The name of the game is enjoyment. The brush is more than half the fun. Why make it easy peasy, quick and convenient? Take the time, enjoy the lather, smell the roses. :happy069

Oh, also, the larger area you lather at one go, the better chance the lather will dry out before you can get to it.

5. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Welcome!

6. MsJoeD

MsJoeD New Member

I have a 23MM knot from shavemac pure badger that I use most of the time. I do have a large Crabtree and Evelyn silvertip but I don't use it very often

7. ella

ella Member

I can respond to Tom if it makes things easier ;)

8. ella

ella Member

Thanks for the welcome :)
    I wouldn't say I'm happy with disposable razors, more that they were temporarily acceptable. The mass of plastic and poor blade quality do not turn me on.
    I have an injector coming soon, will check out special soaps tomorrow (maybe brushes, too, contrary to my minimalist nature) and try not to cut myself, lol.

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Tom it is then. Thanks! :happy088

10. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

it usually just tends to be the guys who are preoccupied with size....
    of their brushes, of course....

11. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

:laugh042

12. rickboone

rickboone Member

I have a tiny brush.

13. Will

Will Nevermind

My wife uses a Lady Blue Star Gillette, sounds pretty much like the one you want.

Also ues Taylors Lavender with a Crabtree and Evelyn Best and Witch Hazel at the end.

14. ella

ella Member

I have a friend who uses an almost identical icon online--too funny :)